Advice on career developmet

Sapling 007

Im just comming to the end of a tree surgery course. By the end I will have tree climbing and rescue, crosscutting, felling small trees and arial cutting. The course didnt give us much more than the tickets so not much arborist type knowledge. I have obviously been reading lots and asking questions to my part time boss when its apropriate. I will need to further my knowledge over the comming years and also gain climbing xp.

Any advice on distance vs classroom arb courses would be great. It seems that abc is well regarded. I am most lightly to be learning on the job while building up my own private practice. The other option is job based training but I dont want to waste anyones time until I have more climbing under my belt.

Im based in Scotland

Any and all advice welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Arbtalk mobile app

My advice to you is go down south,seriously there are very limited oppertunities for young arborists in Scotland,espescially the central belt unless you stumble across a council position which are very rare.

You will learn more by being in employment with a company in England as they can get continious work,in Scotland most companies arent busy for tree work in the winter months.

Seriously go down south mate.

My experience is that there are opportunities in scotland, maybe not as easy as down south. If you have tickets, work hard and dont expect big bucks when you start, people will take you on. Where in scotland are you? Ring round local firms, even offer to work for free initially, that will likely open a door!

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Arbtalk mobile app

My experience is that there are opportunities in scotland, maybe not as easy as down south. If you have tickets, work hard and dont expect big bucks when you start, people will take you on. Where in scotland are you? Ring round local firms, even offer to work for free initially, that will likely open a door!

My plan is to start working for myself to gain climbing experience as well as freelance for anyone who needs ground staff. So phoning round farms etc would be a good shout. I Will then move down to England once I find a posittion with training on the job. I am conciddering doing an abc course or the AAs new distance learning courss also. Dose anyone have any views on which is better? or perhaps nothing beats reading books and applying it to my daily work?

Im based in Ayrshire so Perth is maybe a stretch for commuting.

Thanks for replying.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Arbtalk mobile app

If you can, get experience with a GOOD reputable company with good POSITIVE staff with experienced climbers. Learn how it's done and how it's run, it will save you so much hassle down the line. Do your RFS Level 2 in Arboriculture and progress from there. You can do this course online.

Also learn and memorise tree ident and Latin for as many trees as you possibly can. Nothing worse than not being able to identify a tree in front of a customer. Edinburgh or Dawyck Botanic gardens have a lot of trees tagged with their species.

Hi sapling,

I think wanting to get a more academic background ie abc or rfs qualifications. However imo I would recommend doing it whilst you are doing the job. You will have so much more real world experience to base it on. At this stage like someone else said learn your tree id. There is a good book by 'bob Watson - trees their use, management biology'. Much cheaper than doing a course at this point. All the best.