Arb show feedback

john andrews

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im new to the party as a tree surgion and went to the arb show for some career advice and to pick up my first harness. Got everything I needed advice wise with regard to career but when it came to advice on harness I found the process quite intimidating. I could have done with a bit of help from the staff at the stall I got my kit from. They seemed so busy that it was impossible to get much time for advice and help. Not so much a note on the show itself but some sort of q and a about kit would be good. Impartal advice would have been helpful. I ended up asking other climbers with more xp about rope and extras. Ended up with an tree aus harness but when I tried it again up a teee its uncomfortable. Im hoping I can get an exchange.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Arbtalk mobile app

I couldn't make it down there unfortunately, but thought it worth adding my thoughts on show deals etc.

A few years ago at an APF I was doing the usual stand-to-stand price comparisons to tick off my shopping list. I had a good chat with one supplier in particular, ordered everything from them, had a better deal than I would have done by shopping around for the individual items, and have continued to use them for all kit/uniform needs to this day (other than chainsaws, which I prefer to buy local for warranty purposes etc). Building a decent relationship with a supplier can pay dividends IME. These shows are a great way of putting faces to names and seeing new kit in the flesh, but I can't be bothered with the faff of trying to save a fiver here and there.

. Have to agree perhaps a little more attention from suppliers as I am looking to upgrade both chippers and most didn't seem too interested apart from chatting between themselves . .

I'm sorry about this and will ensure it is fed-back, in general terms, to the suppliers. I guess sometimes there's that delicate balance between assisting and interfering but YOU should make the call.

Thanks for posting,

Paul

I think the cost of pitches for shows reduces the chances of getting bargains. I believe the cost of getting a pitch for a hot food van is something like £10k for a big show...

I can't see the profit margins for things like chainsaws being huge in the first place.

Unfortunately the cost of the exhibitor plots has been taken down from the website (I think because we "sold -out") BUT whilst I don't know the exact cost I do know it's nothing like this (maybe the following "Craig David" concert will attract those kind of exhibitor fees but certainly not the ARB Show...about a tenth I reckon and that depends on the size and location of the plot.)

Cheers,

Paul

Im new to the party as a tree surgion and went to the arb show for some career advice and to pick up my first harness. Got everything I needed advice wise with regard to career but when it came to advice on harness I found the process quite intimidating. I could have done with a bit of help from the staff at the stall I got my kit from. They seemed so busy that it was impossible to get much time for advice and help. Not so much a note on the show itself but some sort of q and a about kit would be good. Impartal advice would have been helpful. I ended up asking other climbers with more xp about rope and extras. Ended up with an tree aus harness but when I tried it again up a teee its uncomfortable. Im hoping I can get an exchange.

Can't comment on the suppliers 'exchange policy' but good luck :001_huh:

However I do take on board your other comments and maybe we could look at doing a "which kit" session, including compatibility of items and systems, in the Arborist Workshop...we'd have to be really careful about giving totally impartial advice to be fair to manufacturers / suppliers present.

Cheers,

Paul

Have the audience lead the descussion or have a forum with no afilliations lead the proceedings.

Hi, if this is aimed at me I apologise :blushing: as my intention is not to lead, for fear of MIS-leading, but to facilitate as we need to know what we got right but more importantly what we didn't so we can aim to improve for future shows :001_huh:

Cheers...n if others feel I'm interfering and stifling discussion please do say so...but then that doesn't usually stop you :001_rolleyes:

Paul