Double head milling

CCOS

I was wondering how big a bar I could i can run if I combined my MS661 and MS362 on a Alaskan mill.

Normally I have no need for cutting more than my 36" bar can handle but I would like to have the possibility to mill bigger logs if I get some.

So I recon that the opportunity to use both sawheads is the best but how big can I go using a 3/8" chain (and what chain would you use?)

Jesper

Well with full cut with that 36" bar in oak or beech it not fast but not that painful either. I do run it with the granberg chain to keep speed up. The MS661do a rather great job keeping the chain speed up.

I've never done double headed milling but quite often use a 50 inch set up run from a 661. It's not the fastest but it does the job. Key to it is keeping the chain in excellent condition.

Most often I'll use a 42 inch GB bar and micro chain. That flies through even the hardest wood but again key to it is keeping the chain in tip top condition.

I've never done double headed milling but quite often use a 50 inch set up run from a 661. It's not the fastest but it does the job. Key to it is keeping the chain in excellent condition.

Most often I'll use a 42 inch GB bar and micro chain. That flies through even the hardest wood but again key to it is keeping the chain in tip top condition.

Yep the 3/8 lo pro with Stihl PMX chain is a fast set up compared to standard 3/8 chain.

With ref to the OP - your 661 should work fine with your 362 and be a good set up for double ended milling. You could do to a 72" double ended bar and 60" mill - change the rims to .404.

I think I have now used x5 different set ups running different size saws at each end as well as x3 with the same saws at each end - they all worked well.

If you get a double ended set up working right it is x3 as fast as any single powerhead (that is from feel rather than from fact).

A recent vid of a log we did.....

[ame]

[/ame]

:001_smile:

Rob d done a video of it, he says you don't need the same powerheads. I would have said 48" is pushing it, preferably 36".

Do you find 36 with a 660 ok? For me 30 is painfully slow.

Sent from my C6603 using Arbtalk mobile app

Have you gone to a 3/8 lo pro set up Bill? I'd say it is around 25% to 30% faster than standard chain.

Have you gone to a 3/8 lo pro set up Bill? I'd say it is around 25% to 30% faster than standard chain.

Not yet rob, still working my way through the 3x. 325 chain I got. End up doing most milling in 36" 404 chain with the 084.

Will def look into it next time I'm needing a chain.

How does it compare to 404? I remember you saying you thought the 404 would be much faster than 325?

Sent from my C6603 using Arbtalk mobile app

I wouldn't use two different powerheads on a double ended mill.

Double ended milling is extremely stressful on all the mechanical components (and the users!) and any mismatch will likely result in early failure.

Double ended milling works very well on shorter bars, and is an extremely rapid way of producing a decent volume of sawn timber (and sawdust). However, the bar flex on bars over 60" is unacceptable, and again strains the chain, drive sprocket, bearings and everything else.

Here is the largest log we ever did with the double ended mill:

18451348_10156133547323136_4225508023349205736_o.jpg?oh=f902b7bf8f4cd67884158fd27edd0829&oe=59B8FE5C

I'm 6ft 8", for reference.

Jon I don't want to disagree with everything you just said... but I disagree with most of it!

Double ended milling is fine with x2 different powerheads - I've used it multiple times successfully. You can manage the flex in the bar and still get large flat planks.

Have you actually tried milling with x2 different powerheads?

Yes there is more strain on components and lesser margin for errors than a single set up - but in the right hands - it works! And works well.

:)

• Thanks 1