How to descend and work within the tree?

Hi All

I've got some rock climbing experience but looking to try a little casual tree climbing to maintain trees in our woodland.

I understand the ascent equipment and technique and will probably use a prussik and grigri but once I want to be able to move down from my anchor and generally move up and down working the tree what equipment would I use?

My first thought was the grigri, I could belay down and ascend back up at will but as far as I'm aware it's not a hands-free device so I either have to tie it off or secure myself to a limb near by.

Just wondering how you guys do it?

Thanks

Toby

Hi All

I've got some rock climbing experience but looking to try a little casual tree climbing to maintain trees in our woodland.

I understand the ascent equipment and technique and will probably use a prussik and grigri but once I want to be able to move down from my anchor and generally move up and down working the tree what equipment would I use?

My first thought was the grigri, I could belay down and ascend back up at will but as far as I'm aware it's not a hands-free device so I either have to tie it off or secure myself to a limb near by.

Just wondering how you guys do it?

Thanks

Toby

Like you, I have rock climbing experience. It's useful to be familiar with ropes and knots and some of the kit, but be aware form teh outset rocvk climbing set-ups and tree set-ups are substantially different. The former is about fall-arrest, the harnesses are light and not meant for sitting in for long, the ropes are stretchy to absorb falls. The latter is about work positioning, basically being able to sit in harnesses for longer periods and not moving at all. The maximum permitted fall is about 1/2 a metre. The ropes are unstretchable. There should eb 2 separate attachments when you are cutting.

So go cautiously if using rock climbing kit or mentality when working on trees.

Others can go on about specific rope techniques. But simply the usual DdRT is like top-roping and the SRT is more like abseiling.

I don't know anyone who uses a grigri for day to day climbing, as I understand it the prussik used in rock climbing is somewhat different from its use in arb.

Assuming you are using a 13mm arb rope such as xtc, you want a 10mm or min 8mm prussik loop, that's all you need to ascend, descend and work the tree.

You will also need a short lanyard, say 5m of 13mm rope and another prussik so if you need to change over you are still tied in, and to give you a second anchor point when cutting or to stop you swinging.

If you can make it to the arb show this weekend, you will come away with a much greater understanding of tree climbing techniques, as well as a desire for lots of shiny jingly toys :)

Sent from my XT1700 using Arbtalk mobile app

I don't know anyone who uses a grigri for day to day climbing, as I understand it the prussik used in rock climbing is somewhat different from its use in arb.

Assuming you are using a 13mm arb rope such as xtc, you want a 10mm or min 8mm prussik loop, that's all you need to ascend, descend and work the tree.

You will also need a short lanyard, say 5m of 13mm rope and another prussik so if you need to change over you are still tied in, and to give you a second anchor point when cutting or to stop you swinging.

If you can make it to the arb show this weekend, you will come away with a much greater understanding of tree climbing techniques, as well as a desire for lots of shiny jingly toys :)

Hi mate. Thanks for the reply. This was pretty much my plan but was going to use a grigri to be able to descend.

How do you descend on a prussik? Surely when it's loaded you can't get the weight off it to move it down?

Good shout on putting the prussik on the lanyard, presumably that's so it's adjustable?

Unfortunately the show is to far for me to get to this weekend. Might try to get to it next year though.

Toby

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

Too move whilst aloft in the tree you gently tug the prussik whilst your wright is on it.This will move the prussik and you down the rope on a descent.Take your time and get used to the feel of descent before you go nuts and descend quick.

There are some tutorials on youtube which are great for the basics.Look up the climbing arborist on youtube for fantastic videos and tips.

Too move whilst aloft in the tree you gently tug the prussik whilst your wright is on it.This will move the prussik and you down the rope on a descent.Take your time and get used to the feel of descent before you go nuts and descend quick.

There are some tutorials on youtube which are great for the basics.Look up the climbing arborist on youtube for fantastic videos and tips.

Thanks. I'll have a watch.

Sounds like a grigri might be slight overkill then but should work no problems and I'll just make sure I tie it off and also use a lanyard when static and cutting etc. (Will just be using a small pruning hand saw, not a chainsaw!)

Hi mate. Thanks for the reply. This was pretty much my plan but was going to use a grigri to be able to descend.

How do you descend on a prussik? Surely when it's loaded you can't get the weight off it to move it down?

Good shout on putting the prussik on the lanyard, presumably that's so it's adjustable?

Unfortunately the show is to far for me to get to this weekend. Might try to get to it next year though.

Toby

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

I know next to nothing about rock climbing, but in this application assuming you are climbing on a doubled rope and not straying into SRT territory then the prussik is only taking 50% of your weight, with the rest being transferred to your anchor point via the termination end of your line.

As mentioned, you can use many gadgets to climb that are more efficient - spider jack, zig zag, hitch climber, etc. Personally, I'd learn the basics with a prussik loop and move onto the more advanced systems once you are more comfortable up a tree.