Anyone tried one of these mills?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with everything said so far.

Your 260 is a too small for milling. You'll probably kill it pretty quick.

Basically, the more CCs the better.

Something like a 441 at the very minimum, 661 preferably, 880 ideally - or equivalent from another manufacturer.

As above.

I used a 440 when starting.

It worked, but really you need an 050/051/066/088

Etc

90cc minimum I'd recommend.

I've got a couple of old muscle saws if you want a cheapish, big saw.

Plenty of big saws on here for sale too.

[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Hi both. It was my plan to buy a bigger saw when I can afford one but I have only just bought the ms260 and can't justify another saw quite yet since it's just a hobby.

I was hoping that the 260 would be powerful enough to mill what I have at the moment which is larch approx 12inches across. I was planning to take it easy. It's just a hobby so I can take a break between each plank to let the saw cool down a bit.

Do you really think it will be bad for the 260 if used as set out above?

I will want to mill bigger larch and hardwoods but can wait until I have a bigger saw.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

The 260 won't deal with it. I tried a 362 on 12" spruce. You know it's hurting the saw. Look at a 460. Mine planks 20" oak no problem. When milling as it's constant you really can tell when the saws happy. Good luck with it.

Clamp em tight, I've never had one slip yet.

I use a 261 or 661 as a crosscutter and either 661 or 880 for milling.

The wear on the machine when milling is pretty harsh.

The larger cc machines have chunky phat components, much more durable.

When you do finish a cut, keep the saw running to cool it down, and oil the chain,medium revs for bit then just ticking over for a few mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

A long time ago, I bought a shipment of intercoolers direct from a factory in China. I asked the supplier how it was progressing, and to prove that he was on the case he sent me a picture of them being made. There was a Chinese woman sat on a bucket on the floor welding aluminium with no protection whatsoever, bare feet in flip flops, no fume extraction, etc... She was a very fine TIG welder, the finished product was great, but it didnt make me feel very good about the whole deal. Needless to say I didnt buy any more.

I am not preaching to anyone, we all do as we wish, but bear in mind that there is sometimes another side to a cheap product from China. A little research into manufacturing in China will show you lots of worrying things which may or may not sit good with you. In this case, I am sure that the product will do the job just fine for occasional milling, but there are other options which are made in Europe and/or USA which sit a little better with me.

As I get older, I find stuff like this more and more important and I try and avoid buying the chinese stuff as much as possible. It annoys me because some things are now only made in China. We buy a lot of wheels and tyres for our trailers and log arches and you can only get a lot of them from China. I dont imagine that a Chinese rubber/tyre factory is a great place to work at/live next to.

Worth thinking about ?

A long time ago, I bought a shipment of intercoolers direct from a factory in China. I asked the supplier how it was progressing, and to prove that he was on the case he sent me a picture of them being made. There was a Chinese woman sat on a bucket on the floor welding aluminium with no protection whatsoever, bare feet in flip flops, no fume extraction, etc... She was a very fine TIG welder, the finished product was great, but it didnt make me feel very good about the whole deal. Needless to say I didnt buy any more.

I am not preaching to anyone, we all do as we wish, but bear in mind that there is sometimes another side to a cheap product from China. A little research into manufacturing in China will show you lots of worrying things which may or may not sit good with you. In this case, I am sure that the product will do the job just fine for occasional milling, but there are other options which are made in Europe and/or USA which sit a little better with me.

As I get older, I find stuff like this more and more important and I try and avoid buying the chinese stuff as much as possible. It annoys me because some things are now only made in China. We buy a lot of wheels and tyres for our trailers and log arches and you can only get a lot of them from China. I dont imagine that a Chinese rubber/tyre factory is a great place to work at/live next to.

Worth thinking about ?

Just had a look at your mills. Like the double rails front and back as it must make starting and finishing the cut easier :thumbup1: