Ash are late

stihlmadasever

Cambuslang, south east edge of Glasgow. Absulutely standard for Ash not to be in leaf until May. Round here they were in flower 6 or 7 weeks ago. Young seedlings all popped into leaf last week. Semi matures popped out during this week, some of the older or weaker trees just starting to flush. There has been a serious lack of rain just when I was expecting Ash leaf last week, perhaps it's a micro determining factor in leafing time. Also dryish northerly winds. Yes Ash is ring porous, suggests a requirement for raid water uptake at and just after leafing for good extension and a decent annual increment.

Went to a site last week, where the previous build has been demolished. No top soil visible but lots of ash seedlings growing around the remaining ash trees in the clay subsoil. Trees not in leaf.

Made me wonder, as the seeds germinate when fresh, if the lack of foliage/more light is a factor in successful repro/germination?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to a site last week, where the previous build has been demolished. No top soil visible but lots of ash seedlings growing around the remaining ash trees in the clay subsoil. Trees not in leaf.

Made me wonder, as the seeds germinate when fresh, if the lack of foliage/more light is a factor in successful repro/germination?

In my experience Ash germinate absolutely anywhere, without necessarily havign a stategy for the next move. They are really opportunistic.

B@ugger, wrong way round.:001_smile:

And let me guess, you've just read somewhere else that it's the opposite?

For anyone that didn't read the article, basically Oak flushing is accelerated quite a lot by daily temperature, Ash not so much so. So a warm spring brings the Oak on before the Ash. In cooler springs the Ash is hardly affected by the temperature and beats the sluggish Oak to it.

It's phenology and scientists spend years studying it. And they get paid. But most records are not as long or complete. It shows how climate change has affected bud burst. Which is a big deal if you are a moth whose caterpillars eat young, tannin freeish, and tender oak leaves. If you can't adapt you become a part of history. Sad for the moths, and the food chain above, e.g. all those little chirpy birds which also nest at this time of year to take advantage of the plentiful food supply.

Ed

I thought it might involve a little more than you original post implied:biggrin: