Fordson 6 cylinder conversion

andy cobb

hi has the guy fitted the correct liners for your block? the liners with one seal are smaller o.d than the liners with double seal.

cheers chris

Yeah was double seal liners, full kit was bought from a ford dealership and it's one of their guys who's rebuilt it.

Took the guy to inspect the "new" block before I bought it and he was happy with it then after it was rebuilt he said channels for lower seal were badly corroded and liners may slip and to get shot.

The damn things still not running or back in the tractor and it's been well over 12 months now!

Gonna try and source a decent cargo engine and get somebody else to fit it I think.

Moral of the storey : never pay your brother to do a job if you want it doing within 2 years.:thumbdown:

Hi we have an old international 574 with the same problem so sump ends up full of water as it leeks past liner seals. dont waste your time putting engine into tractor. i have had a look on facebook modified majors page some bloody good info on there regarding majors.

cheers chris

Hi we have an old international 574 with the same problem so sump ends up full of water as it leeks past liner seals. dont waste your time putting engine into tractor. i have had a look on facebook modified majors page some bloody good info on there regarding majors.

cheers chris

Have requested to join the page. As you say ,there's some real good info on there and think going 6 cylinder would make a useful yard machine especially for running the splitter which requires about 90 hp.

• 2 years later...
Hello, old thread I know sorry :-) but I just bought a major that was converted in the 70s with a Thames trader 6 engine but the clutch is gone, was there any particular clutches used more than others

My dad had issues in his modified major chewing clutches, it was rigged up with a 6 cylinder thames trader engine for the low down grunt for hedge cutting, up and down steep slopes etc, he ended up fitting a JCB clutch which seemed to do the trick. Long time ago that, late 70’s early 80’s when he had it.

1 hour ago, Ratman said:

My dad had issues in his modified major chewing clutches, it was rigged up with a 6 cylinder thames trader engine for the low down grunt for hedge cutting, up and down steep slopes etc, he ended up fitting a JCB clutch which seemed to do the trick. Long time ago that, late 70’s early 80’s when he had it.

Thanks Ratman, I'll look into it

6 hours ago, Stihlaround said:

Hello, old thread I know sorry ? but I just bought a major that was converted in the 70s with a Thames trader 6 engine but the clutch is gone, was there any particular clutches used more than others

Wasn't that the 300D engine, basically a less well balanced ford 2714E industrial engine which was fitted in the County 1004 and 1124. if so the County clutch should fit.

7 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Wasn't that the 300D engine, basically a less well balanced ford 2714E industrial engine which was fitted in the County 1004 and 1124. if so the County clutch should fit.

26 minutes ago, woody paul said:

You fly wheel will be drilled for a certain pressure plate so it's a stronger pressure plate you need to push on clutch plate.

Thanks lads, I'm gonna get it into a shed and get it split, to see what kind of clutch was in it