Moral dilemma and a way to say sorry

Thesnarlingbadger

Couple of old pallets and some cammo netting with maybe some of the Laurel branches on top would make a better den. Sometimes a good gesture can go a long way. Most of our type of work comes from word of mouth and a good reputation. Use the situation to promote yourself as a good guy and you could do well out of it. You clearly are already that or you wouldn't be bothered by the situation.

SG

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think picking him up a new tree is a great idea. Any way that you can turn this into good PR. If you do anything to go out of your way I think the mom will spread good messages about you and your service to everyone she know and it may just land you some work in the future good luck with this one its a toughy.:dontknow:

I have recently done a job I which there were some over hanging branches into next door. Now the quote was to reduce the height of said Laurel and trim back customers side, all nice and straight forward (or so I thought). On the day of the job there was a kid playing next door, this child is extremely autistic and uses the area where the branches were hanging over as a den.

While we were carting out the job the kids carer asked if we were cutting any of the overhanging branches off to which the reply was no (as this was not quoted for and it wouldn't affect the aesthetics of the job).

Later on my customer (an old lady) asked to see what they wanted kept, so I showed her. She then said she wanted them all cut back so the kid couldn't play on them as she was worried he might hurt himself and sue. I explained that this would cost more and she started to cry and make me out to be a bit of a nasty person. So I agreed to cut it all back for free as I didn't want the hassle, so we did. However I explained to her that a couple of branches were left on as on was supporting some steps and the kids den and another as holding a hammock up.

The kid was devastated and before we actually cut the branches back I spoke to his mother to apologise, who has enough on her plate without this added stress, she thanked me for speaking to her first and for leaving just a couple of branches.

The next day I revived an email from the customer externally angry with a picture showing what was left, she wants the branches off no questions.

I don't want to do it but also do not want the bad press at this early stage in my business and she seams like a woman that will go all out to write bad reviews.

So I'm fought between a rock and shard place. I've agreed to do it but have said I will speak to the autistic boys mother first.

Now this whole situation has got me stressed out and upset as it is going to really upset this young lad but I'm just wondering if maybe some kind of peace offering may help the situation. I thought I may build him a little den or get a tree for him to plant and watch grow. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I feel like a horrible person.

I'm just trying to keep the peace and am kinda confused how I ended up in this whole situation in the first place.

Thanks people.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Have you been paid? If so what you do is pretty obvious.

Thank you for all your posts on this situation I haven't had a proper chance to read them until this morning and I really like some of the ideas coming out. I'm not trying to better my reputation by doing this just feel bad for the kid and I don't want this customer wrecking my reputation.

The lad is around 10 so the tent my be a little bit to young for him but I like the way your thinking. I think I will have to leave building a den as I'm a bit worried that to build something that definitely isn't going to fall my be taking up the best part of a day.

I'm going to head to a nursery and try and find a fruit tree for the lad this morning and then go over this afternoon and just get it debt with. I will let you know of the out come this evening.

Thank you for all your input it has been really appreciated if nothing else it has made me realise everyone ends up in similar situation at some point.