Firewood barns in an ideal world

tilleytrees

A good wind or, a sunny day should sort out wet logs.. which begs the question why have a building at all?..

I'd build a shed for my gear, and leave the logs outside.. tarp sheet if you must keep rain off the tops of logs...

Mind, speaking as a one man band here, not much use for a building to house tons of anything never mind logs..

Equally no wind and pissing down all week makes them wet again . Weird innit ?

Equally no wind and pissing down all week makes them wet again . Weird innit ?

Yes and whilst the rain may not soak in and the surface will dry soon all that time the wood's natural drying is suspended.

I think most firewood businesses recognise they are selling a luxury good and it demands good presentation, wood that has been re wetted and dried over a period soon looks mottley.

People on here will be gutted to hear they have wasted thousands of pounds needlessly Spartacus.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Well I was thinking firewood for my own use, its why I qualified the comment by saying I was a one man band..

I suppose if your flogging tons of the stuff you might well be better off with a covered building...

Well I was thinking firewood for my own use, its why I qualified the comment by saying I was a one man band..

I suppose if your flogging tons of the stuff you might well be better off with a covered building...

For the last 40 years I have stored my firewood, for personal use, in a stack adjacent to my garage, it's only in the last ten years that I've considered this to be a mistake so tend to cover it with plastic sheet after September. I should put a roof over it.

It also doesn't get the airflow necessary to dry it in a summer season so I end up with bits in the middle of the stack and difficult species to dry, like oak, that are still 30% by the time I want them. This is why I like alder and sycamore as they dry so quickly.