what can Class 1 trousers actually stop?

Dilz

Some new regulations rumored to be coming into place in Sweden saying that when using a saw which any bigger than a climbing saw class 2 protection is needed - some muppet stuffed a 361 into his leg with his finger jamming it on full revs - his leg didnt like it too much....and now the equivelant health and safety is pushing for all operators to wear class 2 protection in case we jam a saw into our legs with it stuck on full revs - ¨

I have some class 2 type C gladiators....i wore them once in -15C on a day when i didnt have to move about very much - in anything warmer or more active i find i sweat buckets and they are about as flexible as a lead pipe.

Short of it is - what can class 1's actually stop? i need to get off my behind and find all the various chainspeeds for saws and bar setups - but just trying to arm myself for the inevitable inquisition as to why I justify wearing class 1 (apart from obvious heat stroke issues)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a handy bit of basic info on Wikipedia here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chainsaw_safety_clothing

Looking at the Husky 550xp specs it says at 133% of the maximum engine speed the chain is travelling at 26.1m/s http://www.husqvarna.com/uk/products/chainsaws/550-xp/966648115/

Presumably that is when it's held on full throttle but not cutting anything.

cheers, Steve

Edited by SteveA

The test i saw was with an electric motor driving a chain, the motor is switched off and the chain dropped onto a sample leg at 90 degrees, class one is 20 metres per second class two is twenty four and class three twenty eight, altering sprockets increases chain speed beyond that which is in the operators manual.

Some examples for you you, .325 7 tooth sprocket engine speed 9600rpm 18.5m/s change to 8 tooth sprocket 21.1m/s. .375 7 tooth sprocket 9600rpm 21.3m/s change to 8 tooth 24.4m/s and wait for it .325 8 tooth 13000 rpm 28.6m/s

Say no more. It'll be an EU directive, which we don't have to worry about post-Brexit.

Maybe, the thing is how manufacturers of chainsaw PPE do we have here in the UK that are only going to make PPE for the UK market? Most companies that make PPE are going to make the spec fit the biggest market, that isn't going to be us, ever.