Larch

cornish chough

I've had some really weird compression on larch so bad not even wedges every few inches helped , I was wondering if it had possibly come off a wind blow site and had continued growing for years after it was that bad... or is that normal? The only time I've experienced it felling with saws pinching on bars has been on wind blow that has continued growing adding some adverse tensions in the timber.

Was it a butt end? I started taking 2.4 or 2.6 off the end of every tree because they always had weird tensions in that pinched the bands or decided that it wanted to cut a dimension of own.

Larch can gum up the band but with a good scraper and lots of lube it does cut well. Diesel works well but i went over to using a water based lubricant neat much nicer for me but not quite a good for the band.

find it a dream to cut, but then I physically check every log and orientate acording to the growth rings, I've found this helps prevent the bannana boards, and as a blade lube water and soluble oil, (check your local machine shop) I now use a synthetic one with 90:1 dilution rate, and nothing sticks to the band, and no corrosion either

find it a dream to cut, but then I physically check every log and orientate acording to the growth rings, I've found this helps prevent the bannana boards, and as a blade lube water and soluble oil, (check your local machine shop) I now use a synthetic one with 90:1 dilution rate, and nothing sticks to the band, and no corrosion either

This is very true. Ultimately if you are not in control of the full milling process you will find it difficult to cut larch.

I dont find the time of year affects saw logs. On all softwood i check for tension before cutting, if the log is positioned correctly you can avoid timber springing all over the place, even the really bad stuff can be broken down in multiple passes removing tension as boards that are thin enough they dont cause problems.

Adjust your cutting speed when cutting irregular logs this gives your bands more time to fully cut the timber instead of following the grain.

happy milling guys!

Yes brushcutter they where... quite frustrating, don't really want to fire Wood the nice straight none knotty wood but it slows it right down.

Chainsaw carvers quite like a 2.4 or 2.6 Larch butt end. Just about hand movable but big enough to do some nice stuff with. Also you get a lot more than firewood money.

Winter felled Larch also cuts better than spring/summer felled as well in my experence.

I like milling it, preferably from sawlogs not too recently cut or too old and gnarly. I'll always chainsaw a ring off any really dry ends, they are hard on the bands and the sap can pick up a lot of grit and dust.

Weirdly, my lungs aren't keen and my breathing capacity takes a bit of a hit when near too much Larch.