bodging up a hydraulic ram

simonm

Yes, its being welded up badly before, i dont wanna take the ram off to bring it back to weld it so was hoping to clean it and seal it in situ. And yes a weld would be better...

Not much chance, even off the machine and cleaned it's difficult as oil will be in the crack so it needs grinding right back. I've done it with weld but wouldn't advise it on a lifting machine.

Nothing wrong with welding a ram if it's done right. You can even buy hydraulic ram kits where you cut down the tube and the rod to a length that suits you and then weld the end cap in place. These are fine for lifting if your welds are up to the job.

Got a small pin sized hole on a hydraulic ram is it possible to bodge it up temporarily with some sort of epoxy glue

With a centre punch and hammer you could try and peen the pinhole shut, failing that weld it up.

Bob

Nothing wrong with welding a ram if it's done right.

Yes but if there is oil present in the crack it will contaminate the weld.

We had the barrel end weld develop a crack on an Awhi, it was a difficult one to find being both small and under the cab. It was spraying a mist onto the spool block which made it appear the spool block was leaking but eventually with me in the cab tilted forward and forehead on the windscreen I could operate the main lift and the mist was spotted coming from the ram. It had to be taken out, dismantled and thoroughly cleaned before it was re welded.