Website domain names help

jjll

Right this may not be possible but here goes...

If your company is say "abctreecare" and you purchase a domain as "londontreecare" for Internet searching purposes. Is it possible to link them? As in if someone googles "abctreecare" it will come up with Buy Domains - Find a Premium Domain & Open Your Doors, BuyDomains.com

Does this require an additional domain name to link them? Or can it be done on key words to tie one in to the other?

I'm no computer techie so if you have any advice please try and keep it simple for me, if that's possible!!

Thanks in advance.

Yes it's possible, I've done it. I don't understand it - Tis the devils work!

Here's what you need to do... Apparently

Copied & pasted

Hello Leon,

Thank you for your email and clarification to proceed with transferring your domain. Before we proceed in doing so, we can direct the domain to your site instead if you would like. Can you please contact website and ask them to provide you with the DNS nameservers? Once this is provided we will than point the DNS settings of your domain to your website.

Should you proceed in transferring we would need the IPS tag for your new host. I look forward to your reply!

Kind Regards,

Its a simple thing, you just put a URL redirect (a bit of code) on the first site and the browser automatically loads the target URL, most people don't even notice the browser didn't end up where they pointed it.

You can even direct traffic to a specific page within the target domain.

You just need access to the code on the first site and its free.

You can also set the sites to mirror each other, you have to have both sites hosted anyway so no cost implication and having them separate will help you with traffic monitoring.

Technically it is possible, very easy and cheap. However it will not add anything to your google ranking. If anything it will detract from it. The only real way to benefit from multiple domains is to establish separate websites (with different content tailored to a different focus) such that you get two bites at the cherry.

Ok so if you have both domains you can get them to point to each other behind the scenes?

"Abctrees" - name comes up when googled for company. When "abctrees" is clicked it changes name on website to "londontreecare" because that is the forwarding and masking address.

"Londontreecare" comes up with search engine search but directs to "abctrees" - which then directs to "londontreecare"

Am I correct or am I way off?

Slightly confusing I know.

It is very much possible.

1. You must own both the domain names.

2. You need to make some changes in name server and domain redirection. Its called Domain Forwarding or Domain masking.

But if you are doing this for internet searching purpose then i would not recommended this way.

1. I would suggest you to buy a domain based on your brand name

2. Make a post or sub-domain on "londontreecare". Like this londontreecare[dot]abctreecare[dot]com or the most recommended type is Abctreecare[dot]com/londontreecare

3. Then promote your post or sub-domain to make them appear in search engines.

Edited by peter123

The Google approved way of doing this is to set up a 301 [permanent] redirect.

Most hosting providers provide an interface for doing this and, as above, most likely found under domain forwarding.

If you Google "multiple domains 301 redirect" you'll find plenty of info.

Hi

You may be able to configure web forwarding in your domain control panel, this needs to be done with a 301 option that tells Google to re-allocate current search rankings to the new domain.

If your domain is on a windows server that supports ASP, copy & paste this text save as index.asp & transfer to the old domain (replace newdomain.co.uk with your new domain name)

<%@ Language=VBScript %>

<%

Response.Status="301 Moved Permanently"

Response.AddHeader "Location", "http://www.mynewdomain.co.uk/“

%>

Its a simple thing, you just put a URL redirect (a bit of code) on the first site and the browser automatically loads the target URL, most people don't even notice the browser didn't end up where they pointed it.

You can even direct traffic to a specific page within the target domain.

You just need access to the code on the first site and its free.

You can also set the sites to mirror each other, you have to have both sites hosted anyway so no cost implication and having them separate will help you with traffic monitoring.

What Marko said.

This will do absolutely nothing for you. The redirected website wont list in google as googlebots wont be able to index it if visiting the site just redirects straight to the new one.

Only reason to redirect really is if you change a domain name and you have existing traffic, or in another example, I own arbtalk.com which i have redirected to arbtalk.co.uk

Thanks guys,

So as of your guidance I have decided to scrap that plan as it will be worthless for me in terms of extra search engine publicity. My thoughts were to have a domain that would be regularly googled, but as you say, this has been sussed by the search engines and changed.

I'm guessing then, the best way for optimising your search-ability is to keep it original? Do Adwords or other similar publicity really help?

Any other things that can be done to increase searching success on search engines? Or is it about who pays the most, or who has the most traffic?