Advice for buying start-up tipper

Djvicke1

A 5k tipper will do the same as a 10-17k tipper

Sometimes going new is better for tax etx and image but at the end of the day they do the same job

A new motor will depreciate a lot.

A 3-5k motor wont depreciate a lot

Most folk that go for new either turn over a lot of brass or are no good on the spanners. An older motor can break down yes but so can a new one.

Depreciation and risk factor into it for sure, if I was a start up I doubt I'd go down the route of new, if I was stable and consistently had work for the last 3 years with a couple of guys helping me I'd go new on certain tools like vehicles and chippers and try to work them on a 5 year basis.

I help in the day to day running of a buisiness and our previous model was to buy second hand after the depreciation hit and buy out right. It has its advantages in that our finance payments going out monthly was very little.

As we have grown, unreliable old kit has suddenly became something that losses us a lot of money and became a financial risk, as we have invested in new kit our profits have risen due to less down time and more productive equipment, work is income downtime is loss and it mounts up quick!

The reality is once you have x amount of employees and turn over x amount most kit apart from the really big kit costs very little in comparison.

Our biggest monthly outlay is wages by a significant margin, those wages need to be in vehicles working with kit that is not tired and unreliable.

It has nothing to do with image, tax reasons or being no good on the spanners and everything to do with not wanting the financial hit an unreliable tool brings.

Like i said if I was starting out I'd definitely buy second hand the financial risk is much less.

Edited by Marc

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I could not face sending our guys out in a brand new truck as within days it would look like the old ones..

Yeah it breaks my heart to, and we never seem to have the time to keep them clean they just get used and abused.

Petty damages are also annoying it's all part of the abusive nature of the job - during winter months the interior can soon get trashed.

At the end of the day they are a tool and nothing more, you have to detach yourself from the realities of how they will be used and look at the real positives of new and also try to employ decent individuals who will at least try and look after them.

We are not a big company by any means, but I reckon by my rough calculation a new 3.5tonner will pay for itself in the first year. What ever we can sell it for in 5 years will be the deposit towards the next and so on.

If you only ever look at bottom line and making ends meet you want grow, but like the tree that was planted badly.

Yeah it breaks my heart to, and we never seem to have the time to keep them clean they just get used and abused.

Petty damages are also annoying it's all part of the abusive nature of the job - during winter months the interior can soon get trashed.

Scratching the paintwork needlessly by doing things like leaning ladders or polesaws against the truck does my head in