French Election

Billhook

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bomb who less frequently? (Hard to sort out the worlds problems from the comfort of a bank holiday sofa) I think if you are going to get involved in a war then you have to have a decent strategy, only Russia seems to have a clear objective in this case. Arming and training Islamic extremists out of convenience has shown itself to be a poor strategy over the decades and it has come back to bite us more than once.

Just using air strikes is of limited effectiveness on its own. Hard to get support for a full blown war since Tony Blair (mis)lead us into Iraq.

When the allies took on nazi Germany they were fully committed to the comprehensive defeat of the nazis and committed to the rebuilding of Germany . Understandably no one has the stomach for that level of military commitment anymore. One of the biggest failings in this whole sorry saga has to be the ineffectiveness of the UN. The UN is totally impotent and seems to be distracted into spending all its energies trying to further persecute Israel, the only true democracy in the Middle East.

Personally, I think that European borders should be reinstated (they were never removed with the intention of mass migration )

In my honest opinion...The UN should get its act together and create well protected and adequately resourced safe zones in the Middle East. Then look at who should be supported in governing the region.

People migrate because they have lost hope and who can blame them.

Timon.

I agree with this. Creating safe havens would definitely help stopping them flooding over here.

But safe havens won't prevent the huge number of economic migrants that illegally enter Europe.

Not in themselves they wouldn't , but it would be a start.

If refugees were properly helped and supported in safe havens with a view to restoring them back into their original countries when the time was right, then it would be easier to take steps to stemming the tide of economic migrants.

I read an article written by a couple who volunteered themselves on the rescue ships in the Mediterranean. After working there for a while they realised they weren't really helping after all. They said that the vast majority of boats are loaded mainly with single young males, and a lot of them had ISIS stuff on their mobile phones. When it came to getting rescued the males would trample over weaker people, women and children to push to the front.

As harsh as it sounds, I think Australia has adopted the right policy.

Timon.