Association of British Tree Surgeons

Andy Clark

I just wanted to pick everyones collective brains, if I may......

In a moment of boredom today, I found myself flicking through back issues of a few Arb mags/journals etc.

In one (essentialARb issue 27; article re Derek Patch), I came across a reference to the Association of British Tree Surgeons.

Now, although I've been around in the industry for 18ish years now, I can honestly "hand-on-heart" say that I have never EVER heard of this org before, so I decided to put Google to use and do some digging. So far, i've only managed to find one other reference to the Assoc contained within the background history section of the AA website.

It appears that it was set up some time during the 60's, but amalgamated with the AA some 10ish years later, to singularly form what we now know as todays AA.

Now to my way of thinking, that would mean that for at least 10 years, this organisation was run, managed and maintained as a separate entity...... but can I find any other info relating to it?? Erm, no!

So my question to all Arbtalkers out there (mainly to the old war horses), is if anyone else has ever come across or has any relative info regarding the org?? Founder members, principles/standards...... absolutely anything.

Cheers

There is some reference to it on the treelife training website, as part of a paper entitled 'A View of ARBORICULTURE 1854-2008' - doesn't give a great deal more info though

http://www.treelifetraining.co.uk/PDArb%20-%20%20History%20of%20Arb%201854%20-%202008.pdf - extract below:

Skilled tree surgeons where thin on the ground in 1964 when

the Association of British Tree Surgeons and Arborists (ABTSA) was founded by

contractors. Standards of professionalism were low, the production of BS 3998: Tree

Work in 1966, a world first set the standard to be attained for the industry. The

ABTSA group held their annual conference at Merrist Wood Agricultural (now

Guildford) College. As a result the very first college department of Arboriculture

headed by Peter Bridgeman was established in this country in 1968. Another initiative

prompted the funding of the Arboricultural and Advisory Information Service (AAIS)

managed by Derek Patch. The Arboricultural Association (AA) was founded in 1964

to serve Local Authority Tree Officers as they could not be seen to be working in cooperation

with contractors. The unfreezing of attitudes led to the amalgamation of the

AA and the ABTSA in 1974.

Cheers Kev,

I did think of dropping Mr Matthews a line, but not sure of the response I'd get TBH.

I'm trying to be a bit "kid glove"ish and just see what info's actually out there, without getting into the realms of direct contact....... I mean, there's obviously a reason behind why it merged with the AA, and when it comes to things like this, it's sometimes difficult to gauge peoples loyalties/standpoints on the political front.

You know what it's like..... you start off doing a bit of harmless research, and the next thing you know you've opened up a whole pandoras box-esque can of worms, with people asking "Why you wanna do that?" or "Ooooh, don't talk to me about the ABTSA!".

The good ole' Arb industry grapevine. Great, ain't it? :thumbup: