New Hilux Review

Commando

22 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Fight it then yome saying M?

https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/warranty/toyota-warranty

Says there you've got 12 years corrosion warranty on the paintwork at least.........................................*Excludes Hilux.  lol

I'm on my second main dealer purchased Land Rover and it drives me nuts they give me an Evoque or Discovery Sport to drive when warranty work is being done. Nice to know all car dealers treat their customers with disdain though. 

10 hours ago, Jonny69 said:

https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/warranty/toyota-warranty

Says there you've got 12 years corrosion warranty on the paintwork at least.........................................*Excludes Hilux.  lol

I'm on my second main dealer purchased Land Rover and it drives me nuts they give me an Evoque or Discovery Sport to drive when warranty work is being done. Nice to know all car dealers treat their customers with disdain though. 

Dealership said paintwork warranty excludes under body and butt section. I’ll have to get into the small print and check

Just wanted to ask as I know it was brought up earlier in the thread but didn’t really get a proper answer that I’m aware of but all the new Hilux’s are 2.4L, does anyone know what they are like with towing?

Going to be getting one this year at some point and it is going to be paired with a twin axle trailer for taking logs away from site and for transporting plant to sites.

The reason I was looking at Hilux and a newish one is because it will be used for family holidays as well and being a car for the misses when she needs more space for certain trips. So I want something family friendly but with enough power to be a work horse.

Any input would be helpful.

Cheers

I’m thinking either buy new and have a good warranty or buy something around the 2015-2016 mark if 2.4 doesn’t have the grunt of a 3L.

They’ll all end up with smaller engines (or none at all the way things are going) before much longer. The tech detail is out there for those that have a mind to read / believe it but the “sales” pitch for the mk8 is that it has more power / grunt in a smaller lump than previous models. *take that as you wish, some may argue more technically / knowledgably to the contrary, I don’t have the will to read it myself. I’m content in the knowledge that Toyota have a load of boffins making machines for the workplace - who am I to argue with them ?

Mine tows fine, I’m happy. 

Fav bit of your post was using it for family duties....  Don’t “forget” to declare the private miles ???

I can't compare to the 3l as i didn't have one but in comparison to my L200 (2015 last of the older shape) the new Toyota tows far better. It may 'only' be 2.4l but it is very torquey and it has never struggled at all with about 2.6T behind it. Very stable too and it's more 'relaxed' than the L200 was if you get my drift, it just feels like it's not having to work hard at all.

Already this year done 2 separate long (business) trips to the Outer Hebrides and Orkney well over 1000 miles on each one and I'd say it's the most comfortable vehicle I've ever had. My L200 seats almost had me on an operating table with back trouble and the Hilux has sorted all of that.

On the Orkney trip managed to get 38.8mpg on one of the longer runs too and that was Highland roads not motorway. MPG wasn't great up until 13-14000 and then it seemed to free up quite a bit.  The Hilux is so quiet I really have to watch my speed in it.

Overall in terms of practicality, comfort, towing ability etc etc I really like it, best motor Ive ever had (Guess whats going to happen now.....:o)

Only negatives would be the regeneration cycle for the DPF. Wants to do it at the most inconvenient times and although the garage said just to switch it off I don't and I let it complete the cycle before I do so just in case. So ironically the 'planet-saver' means I burn more fuel letting it do its thing....

The radar thing on the front is a complete gimmick for me and only works in bright sunshine when it suits itself and I can't see how it will ever stop an accident.

I have a wee bit of chassis corrosion but nothing like some of the pics above so not unduly worried yet.

Anything specific just ask

:thumbup:

They’ll all end up with smaller engines (or none at all the way things are going) before much longer. The tech detail is out there for those that have a mind to read / believe it but the “sales” pitch for the mk8 is that it has more power / grunt in a smaller lump than previous models. *take that as you wish, some may argue more technically / knowledgably to the contrary, I don’t have the will to read it myself. I’m content in the knowledge that Toyota have a load of boffins making machines for the workplace - who am I to argue with them [emoji23]

Mine tows fine, I’m happy. 

Fav bit of your post was using it for family duties....  Don’t “forget” to declare the private miles [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Did I say family duties? I meant to put important business trips to picturesque surf spots around the south western coast, silly me [emoji6].

Yeah thanks for the input. Im thinking of buying new and that way getting the warranty.
  • Haha 1

I can't compare to the 3l as i didn't have one but in comparison to my L200 (2015 last of the older shape) the new Toyota tows far better. It may 'only' be 2.4l but it is very torquey and it has never struggled at all with about 2.6T behind it. Very stable too and it's more 'relaxed' than the L200 was if you get my drift, it just feels like it's not having to work hard at all.

Already this year done 2 separate long (business) trips to the Outer Hebrides and Orkney well over 1000 miles on each one and I'd say it's the most comfortable vehicle I've ever had. My L200 seats almost had me on an operating table with back trouble and the Hilux has sorted all of that.

On the Orkney trip managed to get 38.8mpg on one of the longer runs too and that was Highland roads not motorway. MPG wasn't great up until 13-14000 and then it seemed to free up quite a bit.  The Hilux is so quiet I really have to watch my speed in it.

Overall in terms of practicality, comfort, towing ability etc etc I really like it, best motor Ive ever had (Guess whats going to happen now.....[emoji33])

Only negatives would be the regeneration cycle for the DPF. Wants to do it at the most inconvenient times and although the garage said just to switch it off I don't and I let it complete the cycle before I do so just in case. So ironically the 'planet-saver' means I burn more fuel letting it do its thing....
The radar thing on the front is a complete gimmick for me and only works in bright sunshine when it suits itself and I can't see how it will ever stop an accident.
I have a wee bit of chassis corrosion but nothing like some of the pics above so not unduly worried yet.
Anything specific just ask
:thumbup:

Ah yes the dreaded DPF, I’ve heard stories. Is this specific to the Hilux? Or something that all the new adblue engines have to endure? How long does the regen take? As I thought this was supposed to happen during driving but keep hearing more and more that people are having it happen in the middle of a petrol station.
Thanks for your input hopefully they will have gotten to the bottom of this corrosion issue before too long. And I think I can live without the radar do-da on the front as I’ve managed my whole driving life without ploughing into the back of someone yet (famous last words).
Cheers
  • Haha 1

Turbo generated Torque talks, regardless of the engine size.
And one hopes with advances in metals/ceramics/oil technology, at no cost in terms of engine longevity.
Such is progress

That’s what I figured I was just struggling to see how a Trubo could give it as much grunt as a higher litre but as been mentioned it’s for the smarty pants at Toyota to figure out not a simpleton such as myself.
  • Haha 1

The DPF explanation always seems to be "you do a lot of short journeys". I would assume the vast majority of pickup buyers fall into the short journey bracket. Seems to me that its new technology forced through on the back of 'saving the planet' but it's a technology that doesn't suit vehicles that exist in the real world....(nobody told me that the truck contained technology that was incompatible with my lifestyle before I bought it9_9)

For me it's just a nuisance, I'd be worried if, say it was drinking adblue and obviously doing it too much but my first fill of adblue lasted almost exactly what the manual said it would, about 9000 miles iirc? Have a friend with a new Discovery Sport and it is drinking adblue like it was Irn Bru. 

I've never timed the regen process, it probably doesn't last as long as I think it does because it annoys me and you're never sure how long it's being going before you go to stop. I think the longest I've ever waited on it must be about 3-4 minutes but I'm not sure to be honest. One thing I have discovered; if you let it run its course and then switch off right away it will start the process again if you re-start the vehicle relatively soon thereafter. I think it needs to run for a while to get it cooled down sufficiently for the computer to see the process as totally complete? If you stand near the exhaust when it's doing the regen it is flipping hot; service manager said something like 700'C in the filter??  I may be being over cautious but I reckon with those sort of temperatures involved it's better to let it do it's thing properly and not switch off mid-cycle despite what the garage said.

Yes; if I had to rely on a radar for me driving safely it's time to give up! And amazingly I've never even seen a Moose run out in front of me yet as I was convinced that would happened as soon as I bought a Hilux:ph34r:.

(Don't forget the 17.5% off deals if you're eligible; I wouldn't be driving one if it wasn't for that!!!)

• Like 2