New Hilux Review

Commando

1 hour ago, Commando said:

Have you had the annoying front camera issue sorted Kev?
Mine is disabled as often as it’s working! Ali’s the handsfree mic is crap, sounds like you are underwater.
Apart from that I’m pleased with the truck, shame the mpg doesn’t match the Toyota figures.

I have to laugh at that.  The auto breaking system disabled itself in the savage weather...  sleet or rain.  I would bet good money you are more than likely to require that type of service in those weather conditions.

mine is literally 2 months old.  I'll keep an eye on the underside.

3 hours ago, Commando said:

Have you had the annoying front camera issue sorted Kev?
Mine is disabled as often as it’s working! Ali’s the handsfree mic is crap, sounds like you are underwater.
Apart from that I’m pleased with the truck, shame the mpg doesn’t match the Toyota figures.

There's an upgrade for the front camera.  I was kicking off about it for months until finally they said Toyota had acknowledged that the spongy / foamy gasket is retaining moisture which, after the windscreen has cleared, traps the moisture inside the camera mounting which 'fogs' the camera lens.  The upgrade was a heating element in the camera mount.  Check see if it's been done for yours.  Are you Snows Plymouth??  If yes, they know full f*king well what they should be doing!!

33.7mpg is my average, but I'm lanes and short trips...

• Like 1

33.7mpg!!! Wow I struggle to get 28mpg in eco mode.
Yeah I’m with Snows. I pointed out the camera issue when I had to take the truck in for a new battery (at 5 months!) which is a 2 day job (wtf). They assured me they would call when the camera heating shroud is in stock which will be about a week. That was 3 weeks ago! Nothing yet.
The corrosion on yours is disturbing and hopefully a one-off. Get your chipping hammer out and get some red oxide on there shipmate ?

Royal,

Here are some email extracts to/from Snows about the camera issue.  If they'd put half as much effort into resolving it when first raised (which was pretty much on receipt of the vehicle) as they did prevaricating, obfuscating and ignoring the issue (and suggesting I clean the windscreen) it would have been solved a good deal sooner!  It took about 7 months of complaint / chase-up to get it resolved - and that only happened after they'd received a technical update from Toyota notifying the problem as a 'type' issue, presumably for all vehicles.  Begs the question, why hasn't there been a recall / upgrade since this single issue has an impact on many of the safety systems?  There's no way they can (legitimately) claim this to be an unknown quantity.  If you want the original emails to help fight the cause happy to fire them over.  

(That chipping hammer / red lead thing....  That only ever happened when Royal was embarked and it was just a means to keep them busy and out of trouble...  It was just a ruse to distract them from getting into mischief!  I was in Brazen (87ish) when Flo Nightingale and (I think it was Paul) Savage fired the 66 in the booties barracks on 2 deck.  It didn't arm cause it only travelled across the mess table before embedding in Ronnie Campbell's kit bag where it proceeded to spew it's propellant around the mess...  Ronnie dived on it and put it out with his bare hands which resulted in him having his mits bandaged up like 16oz boxing gloves for a fortnight.  He must have had some Duty Frees in his kit bag which were worth saving.....) 

....And that's what happens when Royal gets bored at sea! 9_9      

(to Jo Letts) 25 Jan 17:  

"...Forward facing camera - this appears to be so sensitive as to be almost unusable.  The “not available” message is displayed with such frequency and in notably benign environmental conditions as to create a distraction when the message is displayed and to make the associated safety features unavailable.  Whilst accepting that the camera may become obscured by external dirt, it should be noted that the vehicle and windscreen are spotlessly clean leading to the question of wether the problem lies with the camera housing?" 

(to Jo Letts) 31 Mar 17:

"...2.  When the vehicle was in for works recently, one of the issues was the functionality of the forward facing camera.  Service dept said it had been referred to Toyota.  Having used the loan vehicle over 2 weeks (zero issue with the camera) and having had mine returned (daily error message with camera), it is quite clear to me that there is a problem to be addressed here.  What progress / feedback from Toyota?"

(from Richard Curle) 3 May 17

"...Just to update you on the camera.

Toyota are replacing the control unit with an updated version they have also changed the shroud over the camera with one that is heated to avoid issues with condensation, once that has been done we then set up and re-calibrate the system from new again. So apart from the camera itself and the suction bracket everything else has been replaced with the latest equipment.

I hope that all makes sense..."

Am I right in thinking that the current Toyota is the only crew cab available to fail the Moose Test? We are changing out our Rangers soon enough and tbh, main stream dealers seem to have a thing about offering poor customer relations and  a DILLIGAF attitude.

Royal,

Here are some email extracts to/from Snows about the camera issue.  If they'd put half as much effort into resolving it when first raised (which was pretty much on receipt of the vehicle) as they did prevaricating, obfuscating and ignoring the issue (and suggesting I clean the windscreen) it would have been solved a good deal sooner!  It took about 7 months of complaint / chase-up to get it resolved - and that only happened after they'd received a technical update from Toyota notifying the problem as a 'type' issue, presumably for all vehicles.  Begs the question, why hasn't there been a recall / upgrade since this single issue has an impact on many of the safety systems?  There's no way they can (legitimately) claim this to be an unknown quantity.  If you want the original emails to help fight the cause happy to fire them over.  

(That chipping hammer / red lead thing....  That only ever happened when Royal was embarked and it was just a means to keep them busy and out of trouble...  It was just a ruse to distract them from getting into mischief!  I was in Brazen (87ish) when Flo Nightingale and (I think it was Paul) Savage fired the 66 in the booties barracks on 2 deck.  It didn't arm cause it only travelled across the mess table before embedding in Ronnie Campbell's kit bag where it proceeded to spew it's propellant around the mess...  Ronnie dived on it and put it out with his bare hands which resulted in him having his mits bandaged up like 16oz boxing gloves for a fortnight.  He must have had some Duty Frees in his kit bag which were worth saving.....) 

....And that's what happens when Royal gets bored at sea! [emoji16]      

(to Jo Letts) 25 Jan 17:  

"...Forward facing camera - this appears to be so sensitive as to be almost unusable.  The “not available” message is displayed with such frequency and in notably benign environmental conditions as to create a distraction when the message is displayed and to make the associated safety features unavailable.  Whilst accepting that the camera may become obscured by external dirt, it should be noted that the vehicle and windscreen are spotlessly clean leading to the question of wether the problem lies with the camera housing?" 

(to Jo Letts) 31 Mar 17:

"...2.  When the vehicle was in for works recently, one of the issues was the functionality of the forward facing camera.  Service dept said it had been referred to Toyota.  Having used the loan vehicle over 2 weeks (zero issue with the camera) and having had mine returned (daily error message with camera), it is quite clear to me that there is a problem to be addressed here.  What progress / feedback from Toyota?"

(from Richard Curle) 3 May 17

"...Just to update you on the camera.
Toyota are replacing the control unit with an updated version they have also changed the shroud over the camera with one that is heated to avoid issues with condensation, once that has been done we then set up and re-calibrate the system from new again. So apart from the camera itself and the suction bracket everything else has been replaced with the latest equipment.
I hope that all makes sense..."

Thanks for that Kev, did u manage to get a replacement Hilux when yours went in? They have tried to fob me off with a Yaris in the past.
Re the Brazen incident, yeah some lucky lads there[emoji15] Think a good buddy of mine was part it the detachment... Mark Stuckey?

I was lucky to serve my sea time on one of the FIPVs ‘darn sarf’. Small ship routine with a WAFU skipper. Short draft but still long enough to get to know the chipping hammer... happy days[emoji106]
Craig

They tried to mug me off with a Yaris too....

Not happening!

I was there Friday morning listening to all the patter...  "...We can't get a Hilux until April, that's what the hold up is..."  

20m away is the king cab tipper + tow hitch (that doesn't appear to have moved since the last time I was there) so I'm having that when they get mine booked into the body shop in Southampton.  

Name rings a bell!  Did he stay in a while and get WO?  Vaguely remember seeing him somewhere many years after Brazen.

Long shot...  Did you do the 2000 Whistler exped?