New Hilux Review

Commando

i can only add my local Landrover dealer as well as the Audi and VW are equally as $h1t.

I had the 'pleasure' of the new car purchase process at VW, they refused point blank to throw in a full tank of fuel in the deal. They did bombard me with, salesman youtube video (2 lots thanking me for the purchase), putting the car inside printing a label  with my name on it on a stand and a sheet over the car. Utter utter millenieal crap. 

I explained to the kid/salesman than no tank of fuel meant he would be getting zero on the feedback form and I dont want any of the crap/fluff videos etc so to save his time (he ignored).

Needless to say turned up to collect, its only a bloody vw at the end of the day, and it was under the sheet. Told them to pull it outside while I had a coffee.

Needless to say he get zero on his feedback and when they rang to enquire I told them. Their service department equally as crap. I thyink its just a UK thing as I've yet to find a decent dealer who isnt a) a liar b)useless.

Name rings a bell!  Did he stay in a while and get WO?  Vaguely remember seeing him somewhere many years after Brazen.

Long shot...  Did you do the 2000 Whistler exped?

Yep Stux made WO2 and was at Culdrose too.

Yes did the Whistler Jolly with the Mrs??

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

So, the continuing underbody paint saga of the MK8 Hilux:

Goes in to dealer for first annual service Nov 17.  On return I notice the paint degradation within the wheel arches - assumed they'd pressure washed and blast some paint off (first 2 pics)

After a particularly unhelpful absence of acknowledgement and response from service manager, escalated the complaint through dealership management Dec 17.  

Waited until Apr 18 to chase it up again - just happened to be in Plymuff so I went in to see them.  Service manager comes out all apologies and "you'll never guess what, I was just about to call you."  He was right, I hadn't guessed that.  

So now (Apr 18) they have a solution and Toyota UK have told them what paint they need to effect the repair.

May comes and goes, no follow up.  I happen to be in Plymuff again so I drop by, again.

"We can't get the paint so it'll have to go back to Southampton to the main body shop, you can have an Aygo whilst it's away."  "If I wanted / needed a 'king Aygo, I'd have bought an Aygo" was something like my response.  

Waited til Jun until they had a Hilux with tow hitch (no Elec pack mind you) so that I could let mine go.  It's been gone best part of 4 weeks and came back today.  

Imagine my surprise...  They have patch repaired the obvious spots that I pointed out but completely failed to do the rest of the areas that were similarly affected.  I kind of expected that would happen though, I just wanted my natural pessimism and lack of faith in humankind to be proven wrong for once in my miserable existence.

In the meantime, the service manager has told me he has 5 other Hilux with exactly same problem and that Toyota UK are not acknowledging or accepting it as warranty work.  So the dealership paid for the partial remediation of mine.

So here's my dilemma:

The whole underbody is affected by rust and paint degradation (in my opinion)

The dealership have acknowledged and covered the cost of repair for some areas but not others.

Since it was bad enough for them to do some, they have kind of acknowledged that it ought to be bad enough to do all (in my opinion)

Dealership won't do anymore, Toyota UK won't do any.

For the more mechanically minded - are my concerned unreasonable??  What do the AT massive think?  What do other Hilux owners think?  I'm going for an independent assessment and might consider a Trading Standards approach.

fullsizeoutput_562.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_551.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_832.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_833.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_834.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_836.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_83c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_83d.jpeg

36 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

I blame Brexit

Yome roight on there ?!!

As consumers, weem shouldn’t have been placed in position where the UK manufacturing base was denuded to such a degree that weem forced to buy imports because the only comparable UK product is noisy, cramped, leaks, drips oil, breaks down, can’t turn in a field and has no modern safety features. (PS and yome can’t even buy a new one anymore even if you were mad enough to want to)

Bloody foreigners, staying over there making better stuff than weem!

Maggie would have fixed that for us!

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe

That’s pretty poor Kev, on Toyotas part to say the least, I’ve only had the pleasure of using them once a few years back on a recall issue so naturally asked for a courtesy vehicle and like you tried to give me a car, ask the manager for a truck so I could at least go to work but got the response of”well a courtesy vehicle is our courtesy to you and we don’t do like for like “ so all I could do at the time was go in on a Saturday morning and wait for it to be done.

• Like 1

I would be pretty upset with that corrosion on a new truck! You should be fighting them all the way IMO. Mind you poor paint work seems to be the new norm for most brands. If they cant sort out a proper paint job see if you can get the cost of wax oiling out of them. Better than modern paint long term anyway.

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 2