New Hilux Review

Commando

Thanks for the info folks.

Kevin, was the same thing happening to you? i.e when you came to a stop the revs went up and then the burny smell? Iv'e never noticed the smell other than in that scenario but I assume the regen is also occurring as I'm going along.

Brett, if you've done 14000miles, how long did your first fill of Adblue last? the manual suggests 7-7500 miles I think per fill?? Are you doing a lot of long journeys?

Be interesting to see how this manifests itself with other people's vehicles. I suppose these cycles just kick in a a certain time and the vehicle doesn't know you're just about to pull in to the yard and stop etc. It's just a bit inconvenient...

D

Jwe discovered it was the AdBlue system kicking in and regenerating/cleaning the diesel particulate filter.

I thought adblue got metered in at higher loads, when then combustion temperature is hot enough and large amounts of oxygen remaining which combine to make NOx, the adblue then reacts with this in the filter to reduce the NOx back to N2.

DPF cleaning is separate and is when excessive back pressure is sensed across the DPF, so the DPF is brough up to temperature by injecting excess fuel at the beginning of the exhaust stroke, unless Toyota employ a separate injector, the revs will go up to pass enough air to burn the fuel in the DPF.

It looks like you need to drive it harder and switch off engine at stops.

that certainly makes sense (and a better explanation than I've had before) but the thing thats been happening to me definitely involves a very very hot smell/stink coming out from the front towards the end of this process/cycle whatever it is. (likened to someone taking a slash on a hot exhaust and i believe adblue has similar chemistry to urine?)

I'm going to chase up the radar thing this afternoon (because it worked twice -sort of- during the stinking hot sunny days last week!!??) and speak to one of the technicians directly to ask them about it and see if i can get any more info.

that certainly makes sense (and a better explanation than I've had before) but the thing thats been happening to me definitely involves a very very hot smell/stink coming out from the front towards the end of this process/cycle whatever it is. (likened to someone taking a slash on a hot exhaust and i believe adblue has similar chemistry to urine?)

Yes adblue is urea solution CO(NH2)2 ( and I didn't need to look that up, strange what one remembers from lessons 50 years ago) it's the main constituent of urine and is the result of unwanted proteins being broken down. It will be amonia from this that you are smelling as the heat and CO2 in the exhaust convert excess urea to ammonia

It may well be that urea is also injected during a regen cycle, I have never experienced one, with or without adblue.

Edited by openspaceman

Yes adblue is urea solution CO(NH2)2 ( and I didn't need to look that up, strange what one remembers from lessons 50 years ago) it's the main constituent of urine and is the result of unwanted proteins being broken down. It will be amonia from this that you are smelling as the heat and CO2 in the exhaust convert excess urea to ammonia

It may well be that urea is also injected during a regen cycle, I have never experienced one, with or without adblue.

Ha ha yes I know the feeling, don't ask me what I did last week but I'll remember something from decades ago!!

The manual says:

DPF System Characteristics

*idle speed increases during regeneration

*the smell of the exhaust gas differs from a conventional diesel vehicle

*white smoke may be emitted

The technician has confirmed that the Toyota system is different and adblue is used in the dpf regen process.

(The L200 used the extra diesel injection process and even had an extra mark on the dipstick (x) above MAX to allow for diesel getting into the sump and diluting the oil:confused1: When it got to the X you were supposed to get the now diluted oil changed. I was never comfortable with this.

Apparently the Toyota system doesn't have anything like that and happens 100% within the exhaust system. (so it's not like the Isuzu one either!)

It's just the nature of the beast that I do the journeys I do and I'm going to be more susceptible to the regeneration happening when I'm stopping. If i did switch off it would be logged in the computer as a failed regeneration and thats that. You're quite right that if I drove it harder it would probably happen less but I drive the way i drive and I can't imagine I'll be unique especially with a pickup.

I'm also now booked in to get the radar fixed after which it will be virtually impossible to have an accident :001_rolleyes:

I haven't experienced the high rev scenario you describe and I haven't noticed the smell recently either.

What I was experiencing sounds very different to your situation too. Mine was not a distinct strong smell, but rather a faint hint of burning. I suspect it was "newness" vaping off which would tie in with not sensing it recently.

no, I don't think you would confuse this smell with 'newness' it was a real stink!!

It sounded from an earlier post that you did relatively short journeys too?? so it's interesting that you haven't encountered this either.....

Technician also says that yes, if I drove it harder it would be less likely to need regeneration but I have to say that the Hilux is going to provide me with he best chance i've ever had in a pickup of getting nicked for speeding. The L200 was like a tractor in comparison and I tootled about at 50-55 most of the time because that was 'enough'. Keep having to check myself in the hilux for going too fast. The road sign camera/warning system was ok but it became a bit annoying and I'm getting more used to it now and keeping speed accordingly. Its just that the level of refinement is so much better and I'm not sure whether it's the new version of BFG's themselves or the insulation from road noise but it's exceptionally quiet for a pickup too.