New Hilux Review

Commando

What model do you have?What are the money off deals you refer to?

I ended up going for the Invincible which is the second top of the range; managed to get a better trade in for the L200 by doing this although obviously it was dearer to buy. Bit high spec for what I need but as I say I'm delighted with it.

There are several organisations which apparently have an arrangement with Toyota for money-off offers on the Hilux. BASC obviously and the NFU and I'm sure there are others but I'm not familiar with them. Some do 15%, some were 17.5%. I'm sure the salesman told me BASC had been 15% and it was put up to 17.5% so they will vary with time; maybe it's back to 15??? For BASC you have to be an existing or previous member, you can't just join and then get the reduction. I would assume it's the same for the others.

Best thing you can do is just ask your local garage and see what offers are in place at the time.

The way the deal is done you are 'actually' buying the motor from BASC, not the dealership; they just act as an intermediary and get a ££ kickback for the sale. They get a better kickback on the more expensive models I believe.

(When I was looking at the Nissan, they didn't have any tie-ups with organisations but the dealership was offering something like 15% off the list price themselves.)

If you have any specific queries on the Hilux, just ask, happy to help.

D

I ended up going for the Invincible which is the second top of the range; managed to get a better trade in for the L200 by doing this although obviously it was dearer to buy. Bit high spec for what I need but as I say I'm delighted with it.

There are several organisations which apparently have an arrangement with Toyota for money-off offers on the Hilux. BASC obviously and the NFU and I'm sure there are others but I'm not familiar with them. Some do 15%, some were 17.5%. I'm sure the salesman told me BASC had been 15% and it was put up to 17.5% so they will vary with time; maybe it's back to 15??? For BASC you have to be an existing or previous member, you can't just join and then get the reduction. I would assume it's the same for the others.

Best thing you can do is just ask your local garage and see what offers are in place at the time.

The way the deal is done you are 'actually' buying the motor from BASC, not the dealership; they just act as an intermediary and get a ££ kickback for the sale. They get a better kickback on the more expensive models I believe.

(When I was looking at the Nissan, they didn't have any tie-ups with organisations but the dealership was offering something like 15% off the list price themselves.)

If you have any specific queries on the Hilux, just ask, happy to help.

D

If you have the forward facing camera (lane departure / road sign recognition etc) check to make sure you have the recently released Toyota tech upgrade. Previously there was a sponge shroud which was trapping moisture and misting up the camera lense. I struggled with this for ages and despite constant chase-ups to dealership didn't get much joy. Then the upgrade was installed which removed the sponge and installed a heated element + software upgrade.

Mole Valley Farmers also have a Toyota arrangement for discount (subject to 6 months prior membership / account holder (its £10/yr for basic account - if you spend a couple of hundred quid/yr you get that back in discount anyway))

Worth spending a tenner to save 1000's later even if you're only "thinking" about a new truck.

I think it's because the clubs/associations etc are on fleet terms.

With Mole Valley, they are like a silent partner. I filled in a form with membership No. which was sent to me by Toyota dealer. I sent it back to dealer, they check eligibility with MV.

That's it, the rest of the business is between dealer and purchaser. MV have no other interest, input or control.

Thanks Kevin I'll need to look into that, the camera seems to have been working ok but I switched it off recently on the A9 which has loads of 50mph signs just for wagons and it was really getting on my wick! I'm currently waiting for the dealership to recalibrate my radar because it has never worked at all. They have to buy a new piece of kit to do this so I'll be popular down there!

Arcto, no not at all you can finance it however you want. I had my trade in, some cash I could put towards it and 45 minutes online got me a 5 year loan from Tesco bank at a better interest rate than Toyota were offering. All,very straightforward. Just as Kevin says the 3rd party (basc) are mentioned but to all intents and purposes you're just buying it as normal from the dealer.

Just wanted to add a bit of info which may be of help to anyone purchasing one of the 2017 models with the AdBlue system and this is the only aspect so far of the Hilux which I find annoying.....

Soon after getting the Hilux I came to a stop in the yard and as soon as I did the revs jumped up from 800 to about 1200 so I sat there for a bit wondering what the hell was going on; then there came this horrendous smell from the front of the pickup; really stinking. First thought was clutch but it didn't smell clutchy. this happened about 3 times and I was a bit concerned to say the least so I raised it with the dealership, salesman didn't know what it was but after speaking to a technician we discovered it was the AdBlue system kicking in and regenerating/cleaning the diesel particulate filter. Most of the time this will be happening when you're on the go but it has happened to me several times as Ive come to stop; it is very annoying and happened yesterday when i stopped in a car park and had to sit there for over 5 minutes to let it complete it's cycle. I don't know what the risks might be of switching it off mid-cycle but this will be a real issue if stopping for diesel!!

I have no doubt it will come back to the fact I do a lot of short journeys and thats why the dpf keeps needing cleaned but there's sweet f.a i can do about that; those are the journeys that I need to do. it will be interesting to see when I get the message to top-up the Adblue tank; it's supposed to last for about 7000 miles.

Just thought it might be relevant information for anyone buying one and who gets a surprise when this happens. Even the salesman didn't know about it so I hadn't been warned.

I'd also like to hear from anyone else with a new Hilux if this is happening to them?? (I think this is only on 2017 models, not on 2016 but could be wrong)

Just wanted to add a bit of info which may be of help to anyone purchasing one of the 2017 models with the AdBlue system and this is the only aspect so far of the Hilux which I find annoying.....

Soon after getting the Hilux I came to a stop in the yard and as soon as I did the revs jumped up from 800 to about 1200 so I sat there for a bit wondering what the hell was going on; then there came this horrendous smell from the front of the pickup; really stinking. First thought was clutch but it didn't smell clutchy. this happened about 3 times and I was a bit concerned to say the least so I raised it with the dealership, salesman didn't know what it was but after speaking to a technician we discovered it was the AdBlue system kicking in and regenerating/cleaning the diesel particulate filter. Most of the time this will be happening when you're on the go but it has happened to me several times as Ive come to stop; it is very annoying and happened yesterday when i stopped in a car park and had to sit there for over 5 minutes to let it complete it's cycle. I don't know what the risks might be of switching it off mid-cycle but this will be a real issue if stopping for diesel!!

I have no doubt it will come back to the fact I do a lot of short journeys and thats why the dpf keeps needing cleaned but there's sweet f.a i can do about that; those are the journeys that I need to do. it will be interesting to see when I get the message to top-up the Adblue tank; it's supposed to last for about 7000 miles.

Just thought it might be relevant information for anyone buying one and who gets a surprise when this happens. Even the salesman didn't know about it so I hadn't been warned.

I'd also like to hear from anyone else with a new Hilux if this is happening to them?? (I think this is only on 2017 models, not on 2016 but could be wrong)

Lets hope this dosnt go the same way the Dmax went with regen cycles .

I'm at 3k (7 months - probably walk more than I drive!!)

I had a similar, but very much less pronounced than that which you're describing, situation.

An occasional burning smell. Fairly subtle but noticeable which I put down to "newness."

It was generally after one of my long haul journeys (22 miles / 30 mins.)

Discussed with dealership, they suggested it was regen cycle. Not so noticeable now.

Yours sounds pretty bad!