New Hilux Review

Commando

I recently looked at the new hilux.

Is it just me who struggled to get in and out because of the steering wheel getting in the way of my knees

Also the fact that if it's towing 3500kg the payload in the truck can only be around 300kg.

New Isuzu is now only 1900cc instead of 2.5

I'm surprised at mikes comments on the poor towing ability. We tow a lot with ours, tracked machines, timber etc. And I find it fantastic. Even compared to our old landy. I think there may be a possibility mike had it in eco mode, I dont know but this would make the towing ability pants but thats fixed with the push of a button.

If I had to choose any 4x4 I've ever used for towing, I'd pick my hilux.

Fair enough.

On the motorway it felt like it could have done with another gear.

The cab was cramped.

It had pretty much no torque untill the turbo kicked in.

I think the manufacturers are asking alot from a little engine,I wouldn't want to tow 3.5 ton with it anywhere except on a Salt lake.

I don't think any of the modern crop of pick up's are really upto proper work or towing 3.5t, in reality they are family trucks not work trucks and anything under 2.5l no matter how many turbos are fitted is totally useless.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Arbtalk mobile app

I cant disagree with you there ian, however I love mine because I can go pick up the stump grinder, load tools in the back, go do the job, drop off the kit, hitch up the caravan, pick up the wife and kids and go on holiday for the weekend. for me it does all this without fault. obviously I'm bias since I parted with cash for one. I have owned a few 4x4's over the years and cant think of one that I would choose over it, I may have just owned a string of shite motors though.

I know this place is full of haters, but my new Navara tows very well. I wasn't sure about going down in engine size but it is very very good - loads of grunt.

What engine did you go for with the Navara? A lot of farmers around here (Suffolk) have them so they must be up for some decent work...

What engine did you go for with the Navara? A lot of farmers around here (Suffolk) have them so they must be up for some decent work...

Farmers will go for who ever give them the best deal, there all as tight as sharks arses.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Arbtalk mobile app