Bargain Branch logger?

Woodworks

It looks a good machine Beau especialy that bigger grade branch logger that will cut longer logs on the specs sheet

Do you sell them separately as small logs or will you mix them in with your main crop of logs I've got tons of hedge branches that Iam wondering whether stick with the circular saw or BRANCH out and get One of these

Didn't have much joy selling it but it makes great charcoal from what would usually be waste :thumbup1:

Burns OK as logs but needs lots and lots of air then gone in a flash. With the larger machine I suspect it would be more saleable. The TR70 bagged it but the problem with this is you end up with lots of crumbs in the nets which would make a mess every time you move the sack.

Didn't have much joy selling it but it makes great charcoal from what would usually be waste :thumbup1:

Burns OK as logs but needs lots and lots of air then gone in a flash. With the larger machine I suspect it would be more saleable. The TR70 bagged it but the problem with this is you end up with lots of crumbs in the nets which would make a mess every time you move the sack.

If you make charcoal then develop a market for the fines, Gary P said he had a client that was buying it as expensive biochar.

You'd need a stripper in front to separate stem wood.

We tried some of Wills branch loggered slabwood in the narrow boat Morso and it was ideal but not competitive with smokeless coal (which was needed to keep it burning through the night).

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, Woodworks said:

Still mulling over getting one of these. Anyone got anything new to add?

yes, replaced the SM70 Urban that was stolen with a Remet from Welmac which is pto driven and 3 point linkage.  I found the petrol engined one a bit of a faff to move around and this unit is much cheaper and has a slightly larger capacity diameter of wood.  Very pleased with it.  Put it on the little Grey Fergie which runs almost at idle speed so will tend to stall on a difficult piece of wood rather than break the shear pin.(Has only happened once.)

I am putting the loggings directly into either a ton  bag or a potato box as small bagging is also a faff.

Best to grade the material before logging and just have nice twenty foot long lengths of Ash or Sycamore poles, all 4 to 2 inch diameter, with all the twiggy bits cut off (in my dream world!)

Edited by Billhook
spelling
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Billhook said:

yes, replaced the SM70 Urban that was stolen with a Remet from Welmac which is pto driven and 3 point linkage.  I found the petrol engined one a bit of a faff to move around and this unit is much cheaper and has a slightly larger capacity diameter of wood.  Very pleased with it.  Put it on the little Grey Fergie which runs almost at idle speed so will tend to stall on a difficult piece of wood rather than break the shear pin.(Has only happened once.)

I am putting the loggings directly into either a ton  bag or a potato box as small bagging is also a faff.

Best to grade the material before logging and just have nice twenty foot long lengths of Ash or Sycamore poles, all 4 to 2 inch diameter, with all the twiggy bits cut off (in my dream world!)

Great feedback Mr Hook. Which size Remet did you go for?

5 hours ago, Woodworks said:

Great feedback Mr Hook. Which size Remet did you go for?

Cannot find the model number just now as I am away from the office but I seem to think it was meant to cope with 4 in ch softwood and 3 inch hardwood and cost about £1700 for pto and linkage model.

Works perfectly with the Little Grey Fergie and is less nickable attached to the same.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Tom at Heartwood said:

I've taken the plunge and bought the Remet CNC RP200. It arrived today from Poland but I haven't got it set up yet.  I’m hoping to keep our boiler fuelled from it and to offer it for hire with operator on the Valtra in Cumbria. Cheers. Tom.

Nice one Tom. Let us know how you get on with it 

47 minutes ago, woodwizzard said:

Can the speed be controlled, can see this guy ending up with broken ribs! 

I dont think you can control the speed other than the PTO speed.

Having had a small one before you dont stand to the side of the wood you are feeding but make sure you are standing behind the end when it starts feeding in. As say you can get a helava whack if the stem kicks sideways even with the small machine I had so pretty sure the one in the video could do you a power of no good.

Edited by Woodworks