Looking for genuine opinions and suggestions for chipper upgrade

Coletti

I've become aware of a 2012 jensen a530 with 530 hours and a 2015 gm 150 with 350 hours. Fancy going for one of them but not sure which is the better/safer buy. Both are similar money, what's people's opinions on the two?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Arbtalk mobile app

I would personally go for Jensen hands down mate. Better build quality

I also have been hunting out chippers. If your going second hand try and get a reconditioned one from redwoods or masons etc I looked at a second hand Tw 230 at chandlers the other week (we are in the same area if I remember) it just looked battered, chassis paint all pealing off, bits welded on because the earlier models had problems. If your after something to last my personal opinion is don't go for a second hand 230, there not built to the same standards as a 150 or heavier machine

I also have been hunting out chippers. If your going second hand try and get a reconditioned one from redwoods or masons etc I looked at a second hand Tw 230 at chandlers the other week (we are in the same area if I remember) it just looked battered, chassis paint all pealing off, bits welded on because the earlier models had problems. If your after something to last my personal opinion is don't go for a second hand 230, there not built to the same standards as a 150 or heavier machine

do you know the history of the machine ?how old was it hrs etc

do you know the history of the machine ?how old was it hrs etc

I think (don't quote me) 3 years and around 700 hours, which I know isn't low but compared to the forsts that I have looked at, the build quality is certainly different. I do think tw have sorted out the paint issue though from the first chippers so in theory a new one would last better

I ended up going down to redwoods to look at all there second hand machines and new ones, ended up with a fully rebuilt Jensen a540t. I just couldn't afford a new Forst as I went out of the country for 6 months for voluntary work which was great but didn't exactly have a business to come back to. But I'm very happy with the Jensen they have done an amazing job rebuilding it and it looks brand new, I'm getting it tomorrow so I'll put some pictures on here. My second chipper now, first was a tw 150, was a pile of .... but totally my fault I bought cheap and it was a terrible machine, I have good friends in the business that have had 150s for years and because they look after them there still great machines.

• 2 weeks later...

The decision has been made and I went for the Jensen a530 with 513 hrs on the clock. Picked it up Monday and I couldn't he happier with it, will certainly do everything I need it to and side by side with the gm150 it was a no brainer. The Jensen is far better built with a fly wheel half as big again as the one in the gm and out of the test wood we put through them there was one the gm simply wouldn't take no matter how it was orientated, the Jensen on the other hand didn't even realise there was a fork in it haha

Sent from my SM-G920F using Arbtalk mobile app