Looking for genuine opinions and suggestions for chipper upgrade

Coletti

Sub 750 or not?

Doesn't necessarily need to be sub 750 as I have a trailer licence but I also don't really need or want to be chipping bigger timber as I'm happy for the logs. I would consider a larger machine but we are talking more money then, that's the only reason I've hinted towards 6" machines. Also considered I may be better with regards to service and repairs if I went for a cheaper machine such as the tw160 or the gm130 which I know is a good machine

Sent from my SM-G920F using Arbtalk mobile app

After owning second hand used machines, I would strongly recommended you buying new. I've got a Forst ST6, I have very mixed reviews on them. Just being honest. Although at 41 hours, it did snap a shaft but luckily it was under warranty so it didn't cost me. I just thought to myself, yes it's a £20k machine with the vat but all repairs are under warranty for the first 3 years. (So they say anyway). So, if you are spending for instance £10/12k on a second hand use machine, if anything happened you wouldn't be covered so you'd be forking £'s out. I would recommend getting a Forst, Vermeer, TW & GM out on trial and see which one suits you best.

Hire before you buy and see how you get on, local dealers offerings would be the biggest deciding factor for me. I have Greenplant just up the road who bend over backwards to help so TW makes a lot of sense here, its not about choice for me but serviceability and a good dealer backup. They all go wrong so spares on your doorstep account for something.

Bob

I don't know, if it was me I'd be thinking of Tom D's offer..

I doubt he's gonna be selling you a piece of crap, and you could always call him up if things go wrong, he might be able to help being as he's got to know the machine's foibles..

I'm sure the offer from Tom is a good one but in honesty, if I were to get a forst it would have to be new for the guarantee. On account of wills snapping a shaft, a friend of mines st8 needing a new ecu at 100hrs and a company I sub to has has several problems with their st6. I'm not sure what timberwolf are like for backup and service in my ares but I know greenmech have been fantastic with a friends 130

I'm sure the offer from Tom is a good one but in honesty, if I were to get a forst it would have to be new for the guarantee. On account of wills snapping a shaft, a friend of mines st8 needing a new ecu at 100hrs and a company I sub to has has several problems with their st6. I'm not sure what timberwolf are like for backup and service in my ares but I know greenmech have been fantastic with a friends 130

My Forst is nearly new, there's 2.5 years warranty left on it, I'll even help you sort out finance on it if you like. It's only done about 60 hours... save £2k off the price of a brand new one....