Best Strimmer cord for stock fences

Nick Connell

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Always.

Yes I did see you mention it earlier, then it also popped up in my newsfeed a short time ago so thought i'd share.

Two things to say about that short film.

Does it really work, or is someone from stihl perpetuating what in essence is an old wives tale..

Two, if you have to soak your strimmer wire in water overnight, it might be better instead to drive to a dealer and buy a better quality of roll. I've bad batches myself, they go straight in the bin.

If you have to do something to avoid wire breaking inside the head, do a better job of winding on the wire, and if need be squirt a bit of WD40 on it.

I've never done it myself as I rarely get the problem..

Two things to say about that short film.

Does it really work, or is someone from stihl perpetuating what in essence is an old wives tale..

Two, if you have to soak your strimmer wire in water overnight, it might be better instead to drive to a dealer and buy a better quality of roll. I've bad batches myself, they go straight in the bin.

If you have to do something to avoid wire breaking inside the head, do a better job of winding on the wire, and if need be squirt a bit of WD40 on it.

I've never done it myself as I rarely get the problem..

What ever the quality it is a fact that nylon is hygroscopic . So why not ?

You never know , your line that lasts for X amount of time might just last for X plus 1 amount of time .......Oh no , of course its just rubbish . Silly me .

What ever the quality it is a fact that nylon is hygroscopic . So why not ?

You never know , your line that lasts for X amount of time might just last for X plus 1 amount of time .......Oh no , of course its just rubbish . Silly me .

If I have to go to the trouble of soaking my strimmer wire, I'd say its time to get a new roll..

been reading a couple of threads on other forums regarding strimmer wire melting together.

of all the solutions the one that made more sense to me was to put less wire on the reel..

Seemed to make more sense as it has less chance to snag on the wire remaining inside the head.

Grease the head a bit more as well seemed like a good idea..

(Oh, when I was getting the line I mentioned to the salesman that I hated string trimmers because the line always melts for me and I heard this Stihl Premium line was a good choice. He told me the line wasn't my problem if it always melts, he said it was because I just jam the trimmer into the weeds and keep plowing through without swinging the trimmer back and forth. I told him that is pretty much what I do, but why would it matter? He said it is because the trimmer head needs some airflow so it doesn't heat up and cause the line to melt. If you just jam it into the weeds instead of swinging it through, the head will overheat. I don't know how much truth there is to it, but I am going to try it next time. It couldn't hurt, and it could be the reason I hate string trimmers so much. If it works I will be a happy camper. )

Just found this, perhaps theres something in it..

Who has an issue with line breaking inside the head? If it snaps at the eyelets you need to let more like out. But if you use a jet fit head it won't snnap at the eyelets (if you let it get that far) as they're set back slightly into the head giving it a bit of a bend rather than a 90 degree angle.

If I have to go to the trouble of soaking my strimmer wire, I'd say its time to get a new roll..

been reading a couple of threads on other forums regarding strimmer wire melting together.

of all the solutions the one that made more sense to me was to put less wire on the reel..

Seemed to make more sense as it has less chance to snag on the wire remaining inside the head.

Grease the head a bit more as well seemed like a good idea..

(Oh, when I was getting the line I mentioned to the salesman that I hated string trimmers because the line always melts for me and I heard this Stihl Premium line was a good choice. He told me the line wasn't my problem if it always melts, he said it was because I just jam the trimmer into the weeds and keep plowing through without swinging the trimmer back and forth. I told him that is pretty much what I do, but why would it matter? He said it is because the trimmer head needs some airflow so it doesn't heat up and cause the line to melt. If you just jam it into the weeds instead of swinging it through, the head will overheat. I don't know how much truth there is to it, but I am going to try it next time. It couldn't hurt, and it could be the reason I hate string trimmers so much. If it works I will be a happy camper. )

Just found this, perhaps theres something in it..

If you use a Jet Fit head it wont melt , wont break at the eyelets because there arent any and it only takes seconds to reload but....Hay Ho .