Best Strimmer cord for stock fences

Nick Connell

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It welds because it gets hot inside the head. Soaking the line should stop it.

Soaking the line seems like a complete waste of time, whats the point if it gets hot inside the head of the strimmer?.. its only gonna dry out in seconds..

If your asking me its when your strimmer is constantly catching stuff instead of cutting through stuff that gets the wire to weld together...

Like when you cut through brambles or along side dry stone walls or fence lines..

I suspect, if you let your strimmer rest every now and then it might prevent the worst cases of the wire welding together..

Just my opinions, never really given this much thought as it don't happen that often with me...

Line welding never happens if you use an Oregon Jet Fit head . I pre cut the lengths ( about 9 inches ) . Only fit 2 . ( 4 creates too much drag on the 4mmm stuff ) but use a 4 line head , fit 2 in the lower slots . The use of a 4 line head keeps the nut recessed so it does not touch the ground . Contrary to Vesp it only takes seconds to reload and you dont need to do that very often BUT ......obviousely Vesp is the man , I mean afterall he has " been using strimmers for years " so when my 2 curren reels of Diamond Edge run out ( probably in the next 20 - 25 years )I will not by any more , throw my jet fit head away and do what he says . Thanks for the heads up Vesp . dont know what we would do without you bud :001_smile:

Soaking the line seems like a complete waste of time, whats the point if it gets hot inside the head of the strimmer?.. its only gonna dry out in seconds..

If your asking me its when your strimmer is constantly catching stuff instead of cutting through stuff that gets the wire to weld together...

Like when you cut through brambles or along side dry stone walls or fence lines..

I suspect, if you let your strimmer rest every now and then it might prevent the worst cases of the wire welding together..

Just my opinions, never really given this much thought as it don't happen that often with me...

Soaking the line is only to stop it going brittle . ( it absorbs water ) If you insist on using a bump feed head then a squirt of WD40 or similar now and then can help stop the welding thing .

I always wondered why my line welds itself together in the head is it because I am tight and don't bump often enough or because the line is old. Is there anything that can be sprayed on the real to stop this happening

Are you not greasing the gears on the strimmer head? I've only had that problem when the line gets hot from heat transfer from the gears. :001_smile:

Line welding never happens if you use an Oregon Jet Fit head . I pre cut the lengths ( about 9 inches ) . Only fit 2 . ( 4 creates too much drag on the 4mmm stuff ) but use a 4 line head , fit 2 in the lower slots . The use of a 4 line head keeps the nut recessed so it does not touch the ground . Contrary to Vesp it only takes seconds to reload and you dont need to do that very often BUT ......obviousely Vesp is the man , I mean afterall he has " been using strimmers for years " so when my 2 curren reels of Diamond Edge run out ( probably in the next 20 - 25 years )I will not by any more , throw my jet fit head away and do what he says . Thanks for the heads up Vesp . dont know what we would do without you bud :001_smile:

Why you're faffing about changing that diamond go faster strimmer line every time it catches a wire fence, I'll be beating you down time wise because all I have to do is tap the head of the strimmer...

I might buy a new head here an there, but I'd rather do that than spend as much time bent over backwards rethreading a new strip of wire every five minutes..

Don't tell me it never breaks as well, its strimmer wire, and it catches things that break it..

And what kind of an idiot uses a Husky strimmer, if it ain't a stihl, it ain't worth owning... owned:thumbup1: