Ride on lawn mower for steep uneven slopes

Paddler

Excellent post, I hardly ever have to cut my 'lawns', and they attract all manor of bugs and birds- they wouldn't look right in a formal stately home garden though!

:thumbup1::thumbup1:

It baffles me that so many public and private areas are still stuck in legacy cycles of grass cutting with the associated time, equipment, fuel and waste disposal penalties. So much for austerity!

Whilst probably requiring a degree of up-front spend, wild flowering previously grassed areas can provide a changing palette of colour and interest throughout the seasons, massively uplifts bio-diversity (some degree of compensation for the massed swathes of mono-culture grass our farming "countryside custodians" are exploiting), reduces fuel consumption for mowing and transporting mowers, removes the need for waste disposal of cuttings, saves masses of time that can be put to better use and generally just makes good sense - possibly even providing a modest income from small bale sales to horsey types.

Plenty of options and info available online for those that might be radical enough to see the potential.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's largely a cultural attitude that any grassy area should be uniformly short and green. I get jokey comments from friends and family that my lawn 'looks a state and needs a good mow'.

Why do people feel the need to make nature all straight lines and uniform? It's the very nature of natural flowing shapes and colours which makes a walk in the wild so refreshing and calming...

• 4 weeks later...