Wood fired (pizza) oven building?

sloth

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went through the last few years planning on building one too. But then the Jamie Oliver one popped up but it's £1500 so hard to justify the need for that many pizzas.

Then I found one of these for £200. Burned wood pellets in a little cage/hopper art he rear and it works a treat. There is a newer later version of it now, the uuni 3. I think mines a 2

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1492242550.060733.jpg.2fe45632f8b11783e5d0d2aeea59de5f.jpg

For years and years I promised myself I would build one and . I collected half a pallet of materials and had watched every youtube construction video there was.... but never actually did anything.

A year ago I decided life was passing me by so I imported a pre built one from Portugal. Never looked back. They are brilliant not just for pizza parties but for slow roast vegies and meat.

I still would have liked to have built it myself but life is too short! My outstanding challenge is to build a base for it (a year later and it is still sat on pallets). Which leads nicely into my top tip....

The place where I had always intended siting the oven did not work. Even the slightest winds seemed to make it play up. It only had to be moved 6ft before it worked perfectly. Fine when a pump truck can move it, not so fine if you have spent many hours building a cob one in the wrong place.

Our first homemade wood fired pizza – Rustical is a blog page of our first not-so-round pizza

For those of you with branch loggers - a pizza oven is THE best use of wood chunks. They flare off quickly and provide a bank of red hot 'coals' which can be moved about easily to bring the oven quickly and evenly back to temp in between pizzas.

Last tip: Build one or buy one but don't spend another year thinking about it. :001_smile:

Can I ask what sort of dosh you paid Marko?

A builder mate of mine made one with thermal bricks out of night storage heaters. Supposedly cheap as chips from council recycling.

I like the idea of portability, Can you post some more pics please.

Craig

Then I found one of these for £200. Burned wood pellets in a little cage/hopper art he rear and it works a treat. There is a newer later version of it now, the uuni 3. I think mines a 2

[ATTACH]218876[/ATTACH]

I saw those at the Great Yorkshire Show last time I went and was quite impressed with them.

I'd like to build one eventually but we've got one of these and it works fairly well.

514uHuOw2XL.jpg

Nowt like the traditional ovens in Italy my gran use to bake home made bread and the oblong pizzas cooked in the oven we use to burn the twigs from the olive trees then take out the embers as the stone brick would be glowing

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Cheers all for the replies.

Muttley, that is wonderfully brilliant. Is it under cover at all? I worry any clay exposed to the rain would wash away over time, or crumble when it gets frosty. I suppose it'd be easy to slap more on occasionally, but I can't just keep digging holes in my garden! The clay is at least a foot down, and my garden isn't huge.

What about a chimney? A lot I've seen have had a chimney above the door, with the door standing forward of the 'main dome'. I did some reading a long while back when I first considered this, and seem to remember something about it helping with the burn and giving an even heating to the dome...

Can I ask what sort of dosh you paid Marko?

A builder mate of mine made one with thermal bricks out of night storage heaters. Supposedly cheap as chips from council recycling.

I like the idea of portability, Can you post some more pics please.

Craig

It was a 1.2m model and I think cost £600 but I had to collect it from where they were dropping the rest of the arctic load at a UK distributor which was a bit of a pain. I think there are a few more getting in on the act so you can get a similar on delivered for the same money on ebay now.

This isn't the same manufacturer but it is very very similar to mine (my chimney is in the centre) [ame=

]
[/ame]

Unless you keep it on a stack of pallets, it isn't portable. They are very very heavy. My guess would be the wrong side of 600kg

Edited by Marko
Spelling

Cheers all for the replies.

Muttley, that is wonderfully brilliant. Is it under cover at all? I worry any clay exposed to the rain would wash away over time, or crumble when it gets frosty. I suppose it'd be easy to slap more on occasionally, but I can't just keep digging holes in my garden! The clay is at least a foot down, and my garden isn't huge.

What about a chimney? A lot I've seen have had a chimney above the door, with the door standing forward of the 'main dome'. I did some reading a long while back when I first considered this, and seem to remember something about it helping with the burn and giving an even heating to the dome...

Yes it's all under a roof with a cob wall up the side. We sit out there a lot on the evening and have a fire as it's sheltered and out of the rain.

No chimney. Never missed one either. Not sure if it would work better with one but works a treat as is. Regularly cook 15 to 20 pizzas from one burn

Tend to burn from about 2pm till 5.30 or so if I have a lot of people to feed. If i only need a couple of pizzas I don't burn for more than an hour.

If you cant put a roof over it you can lime render the outside but you will need to leave it for a long time before lighting it.