Cone Log Splitter Fail

Billhook

Encouraged by the success of my post hole digger adaptation on the from of the Matbro Teleporter,

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/video-forum/105418-teleporter-hydraulic-auger.html

I bought a cone screw splitter from Poland to fit in place of the auger.

It has a negative thread so anticlockwise rotation but became stuck in a relatively small bit of ash. I had to lift the log to spin it to release the cone by "hammering" it against another log.

It may be that I just need to have a bit more power as the hydraulic motor is worn, or it may be that the cone is not a good design.

[ame]

[/ame]

This is what I was trying to achieve

[ame]

[/ame]

Might be perspective or camera angle but it looked like your cone had a shallower taper angle that the Lasco version. If it gets stuck like that maybe jumping out and putting a couple of cross cuts in would be quicker? Bit of a hassle perhaps. Interested as I'v just ordered the Black splitter variant from Exac1

Would it not help to start at the end of the log rather than the middle?

Yes I think that you are spot on there. Bit of a learning curve here and a bit of patience would help.

The last video he bores into one end of the big log by the knot and nothing happens apart from boring a hole,( a bit like my first attempt) until he tries the other end, starting right at the end.

I have another digger track motor which may not be quite so worn and may try that one if no more progress is made.

Might be perspective or camera angle but it looked like your cone had a shallower taper angle that the Lasco version. If it gets stuck like that maybe jumping out and putting a couple of cross cuts in would be quicker? Bit of a hassle perhaps. Interested as I'v just ordered the Black splitter variant from Exac1

There seem to be many different cone shapes as well as different thread coarseness.

The Atomsplitter which is shown here

Welcome to The 300 Ton Atom Splitter -

Certainly has a different design and deals with the larger timber

The logs in the Black video would easily go through the Palax

Exac-One Ltd - Timber Splitter

and if you click on the video, I see he has the same problem as my cone in that in some knotty pieces it just bores a hole rather than splits

My cone certainly is narrower and is not as flared at the top but I would have thought that it would penetrate the log better being narrow but perhaps not so good on the final split.

Which Black model did you order? Please let us know how it works for you

Edited by Billhook

One thing that I wonder about is do you let the cone pull itself in using the helix or do you force it down with the digger arm ? I have a cone splitter and when you push the log on you can let go and it pulls itself on and splits . If you try and force it it will sometimes bore a hole . If you see what I mean.......

One thing that I wonder about is do you let the cone pull itself in using the helix or do you force it down with the digger arm ? I have a cone splitter and when you push the log on you can let go and it pulls itself on and splits . If you try and force it it will sometimes bore a hole . If you see what I mean.......

We find that a lot depends on the timber species. Sometimes a push, sometimes not. With chestnut, willow, softwood etc you get a lot of boring as the soft timber absorbs the force of the cone. Ash and beech are much easier to split. On something like a big crown junction on a chestnut we sometimes put a couple of cuts in the length of the bar to start her off, that always seems to work. You can always flip her over and bore down into it like it's a stump.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk