Work guarantee

percy verance

Hey all.

I don't do much fencing as my main side is trees but I do some occasionally for a change. I've recently done a job which the customers are happy with and all paid up but they have asked what guarantee the work comes with. Does anyone else offer guarantees for their work, do you add any clauses for extreme weather conditions etc.?

Cheers

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do a fair bit of fencing, I don't offer a guarantee as such, but I would certainly remedy any faulty workmanship should occur, I don't however cover rotting posts in this A) the best timber in also the most expensive-in an ideal world I would only use this but sometimes a job has to be done for a cost, I do however make the customer aware that cheap timber will rot etc.

If customer wants to apply for the 15/30 year guarantee that comes with certain timber then that is up to them but it does not cover my labour in event of premature rotting.

I do a fair bit of fencing, I don't offer a guarantee as such, but I would certainly remedy any faulty workmanship should occur, I don't however cover rotting posts in this A) the best timber in also the most expensive-in an ideal world I would only use this but sometimes a job has to be done for a cost, I do however make the customer aware that cheap timber will rot etc.

If customer wants to apply for the 15/30 year guarantee that comes with certain timber then that is up to them but it does not cover my labour in event of premature rotting.

This...i usually say i offer no guarantee as such to cover rotting posts warping timber etc, but if a post were to blow over or something i would rectify the problem. as long as the job is done right you shouldnt have any problems.

if you put in a 10yr guarantee on your timber you may find yourself regretting this, some timber is unbelievably poor quality, it's quick grown sapwood timber and it has barely been shown the treatment as you will see when cut open. I have installed this in the past and some has rotten in only 4 years despite being pressure treated. I would only use this now if the customer really only wanted a temporary job doing, temporary screen etc.

Go for ten years on yr timber or concreted posts , but put in a 'no storm or collision ' clause ;) K

With a close board fence I can't really see how it could fail unless the posts/timber rotted or posts weren't put in deep enough/not enough concrete and blow over, which I guess you could say was 'storm damage'.

I did a big run of closeboard in a really exposed site on the Moors- I was proper bricking it every storm we had awaiting the phone call the following day- I went totally overboard with post depth and concrete so touch wood have been fine so far but the moment those posts begin to rot the whole lot will be over