2 vans or 7.5 toner

simonm

If just out of the exemption radius, driving time still shouldn't be a problem, but the duty time could be a problem, as well as weekly rest periods, you`ll need a full 45hr rest every other week, most people would have the rest over a weekend, so could only work every other Saturday, and taking a reduced rest period, or a late start Monday.

https://movingon.blog.gov.uk/2014/10/06/changes-to-tachograph-rules-for-local-journeys/

So 6.5t truck and a 1t chipper or down rate to 6t and a 1.5t chipper

Most vehicles over 3.5 tonnes will already have a tachograph but all the time the gross train weight is below 7.5 tonnes you don't have to use it (but it's no problem to stick a card in so why not?). As soon as the GTW goes above this, as when pulling a chipper behind you must use the tacho.

The licence issue makes it a bit different as only pre 97 tests have the C1+E entitlement which means most people over 40 who took their test soon after 17.

The thing that interested me was the 6.5 tonne Iveco can tow 3.5 tonne with a payload of ~3.5tonne, derate it to 5.75 and it looks like you can still carry 2.75 tonnes whilst pulling a safetrak and staying inside the 8.25 the C1+E and 107 note allows. This didn't impress the boss so the lads carried on with transits, to be fair in 8 years only one got pulled over and he wasn't overweight at the time, just driving without trailer entitlement.

• Like 1

Or just buy a caravan and do whatever you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Take ages to shovel chip out of a fully loaded caravan though.....

Timon

"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep in order to gain what he cannot lose"

I think if you're going down that route there are some decent 5-7 tonners that are little bigger than a transit, some of the ivecos for example.

Our 6 ton iveco is an excellent arb truck (the 3.5ton ones not so). Really we should all stop using the 3.5 tonners for most domestic arb.

The o licence I don't see as a major issue (but we have a yard), the regular independent inspections add a bit to the cost but ensure the truck in good order. The biggest issue to me is the drivers licence as C1+E required.

In the grand scheme £1500 + 4 or 5 days training doesn't seem much, but as an employer training staff who then might leave it adds up. Also if your driver leaves you then have a struggle to replace them.

Owner operator I think its a no brainer..

But you still need 2..

P1050166.jpg.d9cd55fd04dfb74bc45c9f1f74d0e155.jpg

Our 6 ton iveco is an excellent arb truck (the 3.5ton ones not so). Really we should all stop using the 3.5 tonners for most domestic arb.

The o licence I don't see as a major issue (but we have a yard), the regular independent inspections add a bit to the cost but ensure the truck in good order. The biggest issue to me is the drivers licence as C1+E required.

In the grand scheme £1500 + 4 or 5 days training doesn't seem much, but as an employer training staff who then might leave it adds up. Also if your driver leaves you then have a struggle to replace them.

Owner operator I think its a no brainer..

But you still need 2..

Do Iveco do a single cab 65/18 , ?