2 vans or 7.5 toner

simonm

In that case Bob pretty much everyone on here is illegal in some way or other! 😂

Sent from my SM-N910F using Arbtalk mobile app

But why? If your in this as a business for the long haul may as well do it right, the cost of a lorry and the license etc is easily absorbed in the year that a business chooses to do it. Interesting how this thread is full of guys trying to justify habitually running vastly overweight endangering then public every day on the roads. Yet if someone wants to do a few easy tree jobs without tickets only endangering themselves and the odd neighbour the same people think it's awful. It's ok to overload a 3.5t because you "can't afford an o license, yard etc etc" but the same argument doesn't wash when applied to having chainsaw tickets....bizarre !

• Like 1

Right.

You've ticked all the boxes legally hauling weight.

Where to?

Down to your yard or farmers yard where everything is 100% legal and nothing is ever burnt that wasn't produced on site?

The whole arb/legal thing is bullshit.

I don't know of a single firm that isn't consistently breaking the law.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I'll agree with that Mark. It's pretty hard to stay 100%legal in this game. The real question is the moral argument. If you break the law by running massively overloaded you are potentially dangerous. If you run your tractor on red and use it to pick up Mrs miggin's tree you're breaking the law but not endangering anyone else.

I'll agree with that Mark. It's pretty hard to stay 100%legal in this game. The real question is the moral argument. If you break the law by running massively overloaded you are potentially dangerous. If you run your tractor on red and use it to pick up Mrs miggin's tree you're breaking the law but not endangering anyone else.

The tractor /trailer/red diesel scenario could well end in tears if you were to be involved in a serious accident. Probably be a lot more grief than a marginally overloaded transit, they would make pages out of the tractor offences were you to get caught. Best keep some lube in the cab. :)

I am surprised AA,Worksafe,Chas and Smas have not poked their noses into the safe and legal transportation of waste timber from jobs. Perhaps if they did the playing field would level out.

Bob

The tractor /trailer/red diesel scenario could well end in tears if you were to be involved in a serious accident. Probably be a lot more grief than a marginally overloaded transit, they would make pages out of the tractor offences were you to get caught. Best keep some lube in the cab. :)

I am surprised AA,Worksafe,Chas and Smas have not poked their noses into the safe and legal transportation of waste timber from jobs. Perhaps if they did the playing field would level out.

Bob

I don't know why you'd get greif for a tractor and trailer if you weren't overloaded. I think the comments in this thread and the other one on transit weights shows that most transits are not 'marginally overloaded'. Marginally overloaded might be 3.8 ton, which would be 2.5-3 cube. Most transits are running way over that. Look at it in percentage terms, a 44 tonner at 45 ton is not really seriously over but a 3.5 tonnner at 4.5 is, and many transits, mine included will be 5.5 when full.

We bit the bullet in Jan 2016 and took delivery of a 7t Iveco tipper.

Even when full of chip we are still legal.

Costs us about 50euros per 'working day' to lease so if you've a productive 3 man team out it's a no brainer.

Savings alone in tipping time are huge.

The chip box is good for 8m3 and we've a tool locker behind the cab with a wire cage on top for hand tools.

Body is 20cm wider than the 3.5t.

A reversing camera and reversing spots would be a usefull addition.

The tow hitch is alot higher and that is a problem if trying to connect a trailer alone.

I'm only 63kg so lifting a 1250kg chipper onto the ball is a tough call.

Ty

I don't know why you'd get greif for a tractor and trailer if you weren't overloaded. I think the comments in this thread and the other one on transit weights shows that most transits are not 'marginally overloaded'. Marginally overloaded might be 3.8 ton, which would be 2.5-3 cube. Most transits are running way over that. Look at it in percentage terms, a 44 tonner at 45 ton is not really seriously over but a 3.5 tonnner at 4.5 is, and many transits, mine included will be 5.5 when full.

I have told the story before Tom but here is a shorthand version. Our Mog which is Ag registered was stopped by traffic cops many years ago pulling a trailer with a tractor mulcher on board. They asked the driver what he was doing and where he was going and they basically told him that the vehicle was being used for transportation so he should have a class1 hgv, should be taxed as an hgv,running on white diesel, plated, on an o`license, the trailer should be plated and the list went on. The summons when it turned up was about half an inch thick , fortunately for the driver the case had timed out by the time it got to court but its a very serious list of offences if caught using ag vehicles for transport. No more Mogs or tractors used for carting gear about in this camp, get traffic plod that know their stuff and its a big deal.

One of these vehicles involved in an accident may well get scrutinised and one would have to wonder if the insurers would attempt to waive a disclaimer.

Bob

Edited by aspenarb
  • Like 1