2 vans or 7.5 toner

simonm

sorry youve misunderstood my post ,not sure were you get the 3rd vehicle from i never mentioned it ,:laugh1:

or are you just been awkward :001_tongue:

Lol no sorry. Not trying to be awkward but if you are taking two trailers out surely at some point you'd want to be chipping into them ??

Have you ever weighed your mog full?

I have a 1600, with a pretty small box, it easily carries 3 tonne of chip, a large chip bin could very quickly take you over weight.

No not yet. It would be interesting to see what she comes in at fully laden (although the answer may not be desirable)

Lol no sorry. Not trying to be awkward but if you are taking two trailers out surely at some point you'd want to be chipping into them ??

Thst was to just to put an idea foward.if they can both tow 3.5 then they will be more usfull.ie.bringing 4.loads.bk.trailer cango on eaither truck

Thst was to just to put an idea foward.if they can both tow 3.5 then they will be more usfull.ie.bringing 4.loads.bk.trailer cango on eaither truck

Trailers are great for added volume for sure. Trouble is maximum towing capactity is reduced by overall train weight of combined units so it's still easy to be overweight if you ram the truck and trailer both full.

You also bring in nose weights to the equation ....

Plated weights are a bit of minefield with uk legislation when you get into the depths of con and use regs.

Most 3.5t are overweight most of the time in Arb work. Easy done.

Chip weighs between 300 and 450kg per cube, dependent on species, moisture level and chipper. So based on the other thread on transit weights, the average 3.5 tonner should have a 2 cube chip box.

Even a 7.5 tonner will be over weight with anything much more than 6 cube.

One truck will not tick all boxes. About 90% of my work is do with Landy 130 because nothing else will get in there or over the ground. Big take downs are a pain but have a tractor and trailer to clear large timber away .

Exactly which is why we like a mixed fleet. But it's horses for courses and whatever best suits your own business requirements.

Chip weighs between 300 and 450kg per cube, dependent on species, moisture level and chipper. So based on the other thread on transit weights, the average 3.5 tonner should have a 2 cube chip box.

Even a 7.5 tonner will be over weight with anything much more than 6 cube.

Its still a more realistic capacity for a small arb team though Tom.

Edit: I dont go with the access argument either, I cant think of a single job where we have not managed to get our trucks in. There is only a few inches difference between a Transit and a truck, I have poked the artic into many domestic driveways.

Bob

Edited by aspenarb

What I'm getting at is that if you want to leave the 3.5 behind to stay legal the 7.5 will only be legal with a 3.5 sized chip box. Virtually every 3.5 is well overloaded but if you go 7.5 you can carry the same amount legally. If you get a 7.5 because it holds more chip than the 3.5 you're just making the problem worse by running an even heavier overloaded vehicle. I have often thought that a grain trailer with a chipper mounted on an extended drawbar would be a handy thing but they have never really taken off.