RW vs akimbo and ZZ

Beautiful day so whilst reccie climbing with Rachel to cure our hangovers thought it would be a good idea to do a comparison of a few SRT devices.. if you can stomach 9 minutes of me talking bollox and are interested in SRT it maybe worth a watch.

Cheers mat. [ame]

[/ame]

Jesus thats 9 minutes i wont get back!

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

;) cheers breffni and Ian, would like to have had a rope runner and BDB in there as well, maybe a better comparison would be a load of devices set up up on lines suited to them. I think for me though I will always go back to the RW VT combo for why I explained.

Didn't think the ZZ and RW worked well , any users opinions ?could not get a decent stride on the ascenders with it maybe a smaller tether would be better?

;)....maybe a better comparison would be a load of devices set up up on lines suited to them....

Nice video! Hitch based systems will always have greater latitude and adjustability and in my opinion, be smoother, if you understand how to get them working. It seems that some climbers have trouble with that.

How much time do you have on the Akimbo? It seemed a little jumpy in the vid but I know it can be real smooth with the right rope. It should also come off and on the rope super fast with practice. It is also my opinion that if a mechanical can't be smoothly one-handed during swings, it will not be a good general use tool.

Thanks DMC ,With the Akimbo I didn't think it would work at all with that rope as it's a few years old and a bit swollen with debris and use ,usually climb with it on a Stirling rope it's been quite fickle recently though ...I think the nicest I've had it working was on brand new cougar with the top cam turned in one. Possibly the side screws need adjustment or tightening as it just has started becoming a pain to get off! I hadn't climbed on a hitch since I got it though and realised this morning I really miss the hitch. I do have some different springs to try on it though that I'm hoping make the difference.

Weather looks cracking mate!

I'm on the RW/ZZ.

One thing I've found is that you have to make sure the RW is in neutral before ascent.

If it's engaged there is loads of drag, especially noticeable with a necklastic.

Different tether length might help, I'm on the 4SRT twin tail.

Need to upgrade my HAAS to a Velox really to optimise things.

I'm also getting a problem with my chainsaw keks bunching round the foot ascender and screwing up the rope dropping through it. No problem with my Sip 'stealth chainsaw keks' though....

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

That makes sense mate as it had never done that on other ascents that morning and to be fair I only had put the RW ZZ together the day before and only time on it being that morning.

I think it would be a very useable combo with a bit of work time on it getting used to it , worked sweet limb walking for sure... still not a hitch though ;)