God moves in mysterious ways

Shane

About 6 months ago I quoted for a small reduction on a yew in a local church (one we have worked for before).

To clear a light over a footpath. Cost was £80 max all in, but it needed TPO permission. After 4 months they got back to say go ahead and apply, then do it when permission is granted.

I did the application including a couple of chats with the TO.

Yesterday I received an email from the church warden ...

--------------------------------------------------------

I have heard back from the Diocese. They need the following from you please:

1. Insurance – confirmation of the contractors public liability insurance.

2. Health & Safety – confirmation the attention has and will be given to H & S, working at height, using chainsaws etc..

3. Seemly conduct – of those working on or near a church.

4. Schedule of work – this is basically covered in the email alrear dy sent by the contractor (but should be incorporated).

Please could you provide this in a single document.

Have you heard back from the Council yet. Although the Diocese may agree for the work subject to the council's approval, they would also like a copy of the letter giving the permission please.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't mind the usual 'commercial' stuff - that helps keep the cowboys at bay. But has anyone ever been asked about guaranteeing 'seemly' behaviour?

I guess we had better not boil up any goats heads on site, keep our trousers on etc., but I don't have any documentation to prove that:confused1:.

How much paperwork is worth doing for a job with a max earning of £80?

There are a few other trees that we could get to do at some point but when you have to wait 4 months for a quote acceptance then have to recite the 10 commandments in Latin it's getting silly.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday I received an email from the church warden ...

--------------------------------------------------------

I have heard back from the Diocese. They need the following from you please:

1. Insurance – confirmation of the contractors public liability insurance.

2. Health & Safety – confirmation the attention has and will be given to H & S, working at height, using chainsaws etc..

3. Seemly conduct – of those working on or near a church.

4. Schedule of work – this is basically covered in the email already sent by the contractor (but should be incorporated).

Please could you provide this in a single document.

Have you heard back from the Council yet. Although the Diocese may agree for the work subject to the council's approval, they would also like a copy of the letter giving the permission please.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

How much paperwork is worth doing for a job with a max earning of £80?

There are a few other trees that we could get to do at some point but when you have to wait 4 months for a quote acceptance then have to recite the 10 commandments in Latin it's getting silly.

We run up against this sometimes. Totally different industry (R&D, failure investigation and consultancy for engineering in my case) but a similar problem in that on small jobs the value added to the customer (what you can charge for) does not offset the cost of the necessary non-value add. As an aside, these terms come from lean manufacturing but the principles can be applied to efficiency in just about any business.

The tone of the email from the church warden suggests that he understands the issue, in which case I think I would be inclined to have a very open discussion, indicating that the cost of the paperwork is removing any profit from the job, but it will for anybody who does it properly, and see what he says. There are two possible routes forward that I can think of (I have used both under similar circumstances, where a sensible discussion can be held) and he could probably be steered towards either, depending on your preference. 1, increase the price to cover the paperwork side - not unreasonable as unless you have stated otherwise it would be reasonable to assume that your quote will not be held forever and you are 4mnths and counting. 2, hold the quote but get it agreed that your paperwork will remain on record for future jobs across the diocese. This gives you a competitive advantage, effectively equivalent to a preferred supplier, particularly if the church warden is in a position to put the word about to other churches. Knowing that there will be a certain cost of this type of work, adding a small amount to any future jobs (e.g. charging £100 rather than £80) would allow you to recover costs.

Alec

The EA are buggers for doing this - we quote for a job and get it, and are then asked to spend half a day filling their various CDM forms. We now add that on to all quotes as a separate item.

The point has to be made that this is an £80 pound job that has already been agreed, and that you have ready done the TO communication etc on their behalf. If they require any more then they should be expected to pay for the additional time etc (IMHO)

I hope you charged extra for the TPO application?

They may of had problems with previous contractors hence the request. Just think once done it can be used for future jobs regardless of the client.

It obviously would of been better if they had told you they would need all this paper work before quoting, but then again they might think that it's standard procedure etc.

I can't believe anyone would do a job for £80. Maybe if you were working next door and it was a wee bonus. But a scheduled job, with council permission? Put your prices up, a lot, then you won't mind jumping through some H&S hoops.