Full skip chains opinion.

Old Mill Tree Care

Last week I had to change the 36" bar on my 395xp and with the new bar I chose full skip chains.

I'd never heard of them but saw them as an option on the chainsawbars website. The reasoning seemed plausible so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

The first job with it was a 44" Oak to fell and I must say that I really noticed a big difference. The chain never got bogged down and the speed stayed high even when the bar was buried so I'm pretty impressed.

I'm sure the effect wouldn't be quite the same for the 28" bar on the 395xp but for the biggest length bar that a saw can handle it works very well.

Plus, less cutters to sharpen!

Anyway, reason for posting this is to ask if there are any other bar/motor combinations that you've had success with.

Thanks

Al.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I get the difference between a normal and skip chain but whats the ditterence in the bars?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Arbtalk mobile app

Skip chain works better for oversize bars but on bars up to around and including 28" (depending on saw) a full comp chain would be more efficient.

i run a 8 tooth and full chain on my 395 with an oregon 37 reduced weight bar in a 3 foot wide dead elm, it bogged down but in a big pine was fine , went to a 7 tooth and the dead elm when blocking it up and still bogged a bit , swapped over to a Oregon skip which was bought with the bar and made a big difference actually , so depending on the wood i spose either will do whats needs to done , not tried the 8 tooth with the skip yet tho

IMG_6521.jpg.ee3baf7679154c13d6f026fefa86a6aa.jpg

Edited by huskywilson

i run full skip on my jonsered 2188 (390 xp) 28", performed well in oak, main reason i got the skip chain was in the event of my bigger saw needing repair i could use my 372 with same bar and chain, less drag ,so smaller power head would do the job

I have always run full skip .404 on my 395 . Did have some semi skip once but cant remember how it performed .

have you been cutting ash with that saw, chain looks dry, ash seems to suck all the chain oil away :thumbup1: