Forst TR6 dead again!

MLS

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I started out I was dead against finance, preferring to save up for kit. But then I realised that you make more money, faster, with good kit that gets the job done and doesn't break down. To use the example earlier why save £10 a day to buy a chipper when you can buy it now and pay 10 on finance? Then you have the quality machine right away with all the advantages that brings.

There are some risks to finance, my policy is to always have enough 'equity' in the machine that you can sell it and pay off the finance. This means putting down at least 30% deposit on a new machine and 20% on a second hand one. Far better to have a decent machine with a warranty than an old banger.

Just for the guys looking at the M8D, you'll just need to bare in mine that the spec on the Morbark machines are for the non CE machines. Fair chance length and weight will be slightly different. Engine and capability will be the same though. Most likely the European versions will be slightly more compact and have a more UK style wheel base.

That's all. All the best

Davie

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

That's still not an excuse for machinery becoming worthless/unreliable after (or before) 3 years.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

I run older out-of-warranty Greenmechs and know them pretty well (with a massive amount of my knowledge gained hands-on with direction over the phone from their very helpful technical support). Two of my machines cost less than one new equivalent (whatever the manufacturer), but they do require good maintenance (but so does a new one). I certainly wouldn't consider them worthless/unreliable after 3 years (with the exception of cheap Chinese crap, I don't think there are any manufacturers who supply woodchippers into our marketplace that are as poor as you suggest).

When looked after properly chippers are not unreliable - we've got a 1928 Safetrac with over 3000 hours on it - it isn't pretty but it turns wood into chip. My thought process for operating this way is that if/when I suffer a breakdown, I'm not totally reliant on that single machine. It gives a bit of breathing space in the event of a serious failure. Big expensive failures are pretty infrequent in reality if you are handy with the grease gun and keep an ear out for strange noises.

It becomes harder if you are sending lads out operating older machines - the maintenance regime needs to be top notch then, with potential issues picked up in the workshop before they aren't noticed out on site... And a brand new machine can become unusable just as quickly as a second hand one if abused/not maintained.

As for the subject of this thread, I take my hat off to Forst. They stepped straight into the marketplace with a viable product and appear to stand behind it/support it wholeheartedly. If I'm honest I think their appearance forced other manufacturers to up their respective games, bringing new machines out with further advances in design that we perhaps wouldn't have seen so quickly.

I have read/heard about various issues with Forst machines, but have seen/experienced issues with all of their competitors at one point or another. It has been said before many times but is worth reinforcing - parts availability and dealer/manufacturer backup is worth far more than the badge/colour of the machine you end up operating. That is what will get you back up and running WHEN you experience issues.

Both Kev and Tom are talking a lot of sense and I'm in the same boat as both of them,I would rather have good kit on finance than "own" knackered stuff, I also had forst out today to fix a greas line, machine wasn't down but I reported it Tuesday and they called in yesterday on the off chance but the machine was out so came back today, after sales really is good.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Arbtalk mobile app

If you spent (or financed / leased) £18k on a chipper and lost half the value in 3 years thats £9k or £3k a year, or £250 a month, or just over a tenner per working day. If you can't afford a tenner a day for a key work tool then look at your pricing and see if you are one of the people devaluing the industry.

That comment is not directed toward Fredward or anyone specifically. I just get peed off with the shear number of people who see the top line job price and feel they could go self employed and do it for £100 less out the back of an astra with a barely towable chipper and have more cash than there employed mate. This vicious circle then means said self employed person is working hand to mouth and makes no allowance for replacing kit thus fueling the domestic race to the bottom. Rant over - sorry.

Makes sense

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

Some very good points raised by this thread. For sure customer service is important, I chose Husqvarna over stihl based almost purely on the service from the local dealers. There isn't much dealer support in NZ as far as chippers are concerned, I bought a locally made one with great dealer service. It didn't however change the fact that it was poorly fabricated and the design was flawed in places (I realise there is no perfect design). This time I have gone for the heavier built American option so time will tell how that works out.

The morbark dealer in NZ just started selling forst, it will be an interesting journey for them as parts availability will be an issue, especially at the beginning. We are a long way from anywhere so it is always a problem.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app