how did you guys do it

Brackley Firewood

We started off selling offcuts of oak stakes 20-25 years ago, built it slowly then started really pushing about 8 years ago and put a drying system in 4 years ago so we could keep cutting through the winter.

Depending how much time and money you want to invest I would say start with adverts in local papers/newsletters and on Facebook.

Get a cheap website with all your details and prices on - it saves people phoning up with the same questions all the time.

Find loyal customers and deal with any complaints quickly - a bad reputation travels faster than a good one.

Get a pickup and get it signwritten - unless you're a terrible driver ;)

Try not to sell out - easier said than done but it's easy to lose customers like that.

Find a way to dry your wood, everyone seems to have a moisture meter now.

Don't bother processing by hand unless you enjoy it, buy a processor or hire one in for a while

It's hard to make money small scale (and large scale to be honest) but it is possible. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been going almost three years and just about making a living. If you want to have a chat about my experience, then please feel free to give me a call on 01691 791 571. My name is Daniel Patrick and I trade as Tanat Valley Firewood. All the best with your venture. You wont make a lot of money, but you may become rich.

Start cutting 4 years before you start selling. That way your wood will be dry.

Otherwise without a kiln you be selling wet firewood.

Some species dry and split easily/quickly. Others require more work and time.

And you'll need a lot of space, and a tractor++++

Hard, dangerous work,

Badly paid.

Best job I've ever had!!!

Deeply satisfying.

Make good relationships with clients, and they will call you every time.

Good luck

[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

best advice is don't do it, as you can see there are many part timers who will undercut on price, there are very few loyal customers most of them always want to try the new cheap guy.

couple of years ago someone supposedly started a rumour we had gone out of business and our sales dropped off about 50% without anyone ever contacting us to see if it was true and while you get this kind of thing in all sectors firewood seems to have very tight margins so it can really hurt.

best advice is don't do it, as you can see there are many part timers who will undercut on price, there are very few loyal customers most of them always want to try the new cheap guy.

Nothing wrong with part time. Works perfectly for me. I certainly don't undercut as that would leave me with very little, surely the larger the operation the cheaper you can be?

I'm surprised you don't have many loyal customers. Can you really blame that on the " new cheap guy"?

Nothing wrong with part time. Works perfectly for me. I certainly don't undercut as that would leave me with very little, surely the larger the operation the cheaper you can be?

I'm surprised you don't have many loyal customers. Can you really blame that on the " new cheap guy"?

yes because quite a few come back and tell you how bad the logs were and then next cheap guy they are of again to try him