Massive theft of saws and equipment in Wales

Dan Forsh

Saws already have serial numbers on them, so how is I'd chips with owners details going to help?

Immobilisers are a good idea if possible linked to yard, if not returned within 24hours the saw will not start.

We have had a lot of saws stolen over the years in 3 yard break ins and one theft from site serial numbers provided to police and on 2 databases and never had a saw returned and rarely do I hear of anyone having the stolen saws returned.

Where they go is beyond me, we have yet again upgraded our security-cctv and multiple alarms and layered security doors fingers crossed we will be okay next time

With these electric carbs they could be programmed with the owners details when purchased and easy to trace should the manufacturer decide to put a system in place

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

I believe husqvarna do this already with the new saws. I lost a 560xpg so was speaking to the dealer when buying a replacement he said it will flag up as stolen if and when it gets plugged into the computer

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I believe husqvarna do this already with the new saws. I lost a 560xpg so was speaking to the dealer when buying a replacement he said it will flag up as stolen if and when it gets plugged into the computer

That's pretty normal practice for most good dealers, our dealer will always cross reference a saws serial before repair and see if it flags up as stolen and have done for quite a few years.

I think the only robust way is make the saws not function if stolen, as no one cares about traceability through serial numbers uniques id's, on board chip etc, this only makes return of stolen property possible "if" found.

If something is in place I've not heard of it. I've bought saws and nothings been mentioned and when I was robbed the police wasn't interested in serial numbers so how would those saws get flagged up if went in for repair?

Because not all dealers or police forces are equal, I doubt they'd tell you about checking serial numbers this after one of our yard thefts and subsequent new purchases from our dealer a few years back the sales guy had said with all stihl saws they service they cross reference the serial numbers with a stihl sponsored database, which one that is I do not know.

Obviously they may not bother, and like you have said some police forces seemingly do not take an interest in serial numbers either as they now recovery is unlikely or to costly.

There are gangs they are fully aware off carrying out these crimes to catch them red handed with a robust case to secure prosecution is difficult.

Realistically there is only one way to prevent theft - up your security game or immobilise the saws but how possible that is I do not know-it seems with the new micro processor carbs it would not be to difficult.

If something is in place I've not heard of it. I've bought saws and nothings been mentioned and when I was robbed the police wasn't interested in serial numbers so how would those saws get flagged up if went in for repair?

Just going on what I've been told. Think the auto tune chip holds the details so when plugged in it flags it up if you've notified the dealer and they update the system but I could well be wrong

• 2 years later...