"Disclaimers?"

Mike Hill

After a spate of unhappy clients demanding more work to be done shortly after receiveing the bill,does anyone have a "disclaimer" on their work orders?

"Should the client not be present during the work,all work is to be carried out to limit of description above and Tredoktor.AS"

Thing is,one client after returing home to see her Birch we had crown reduced.Waited two weeks untill the bill arrived and then wanted more off.I said no,and that we would fell it for free if she kept the wood,now she wants the price reduced.Claiming we only took 20% not the 30% specified.

This is the kind of problem you encounter in the private sector of Arb work and I'm not sure if any disclaimer would stop the kind of client hassel outlined above,but does anyone have a disclaimer?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She just sounds like a pratt.

What I try and do where possible or where I think the client may be an @rse is take a before and after photo. Because unless you see the pile of brash on the floor, sometimes it's hard to comprehend how much has actually been done.

Especailly on a reduction, to the untrained eye the tree would probably look no different, infact if you topped the frikking tree it probably wouldn't look any different to some.

Pics are a good reference as to how it looked before though, then you can bin them when you get your payment

I always thought a fixed price quotation was a 2 way binding contract between you and the client. you agree to carry out the works according to the spec, they agree to pay on completion.

I'd just send a letter saying 'pay up or you go to small claims court'. None of us need customers like that:thumbsdown:.

Reminds me of why I'm freelance, do the job and go home.:proud:

Been there ....done that.

Doesn't it just pee you off.........Sounds like if you had butchered the tree in half the time, they would probrably have been delighted with the work.

Yes thats true,the original request was "just make it look nice".

I think we'll try adding a disclamer to the bottom of a few work orders and see how we go.Thing is,you can always choose not to work for problem clients again.

Avoiding them in the first instance is the hard part.

The words that get my blood pressure going up is the client say "Whilst your here would you mind doing this other tree...... etc etc

The dreaded add ons

I just say it will go on the bill price.

(Big job on Rock walk Torquay seafront spotted this weekend,Rd closed for 6 weeks)

On my quotation it says

"Please do not ask our operators to carry out works that is not included in the specification, no matter how small"

But as far as this thread is concerned..... the best way (IMO) to avoid conflict is to ensure someone will be at the property when the work is carried out.....And you get cups of fresh tea.