multi tip tooth advice

Suffolk-Matt

Keep the outermost (cutting) teeth sharp, replace them regularly with new or sharpened ones. I replace the inner ones about every third change of the 'cutters'.

My wheel has 6 slots.

The Rhinos cut vertically at a much faster rate, and sideways about the same as multi-tip. The rhinos come in standard and extra large size, the bigger ones are brutal and harder to control with a pedestrian machine - we use standard and they are fine.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do same same with changing cutters only. I sharpen the teeth with a bench grinder with a silicon green wheel. Works good for me. Mask to be used while sharpen the teeth, silicon wheel no good for your health, each teeth take 3 minutes or less to sharpen. I use the multi tip still.. I do try to get the most out of the teeth.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Ah thats a different layout, with that id change all the teeth.

What machine are you using? I think the small pedestrian has four teeth total.

The 450/460 has 6 teeth.

I have a 450 and only change one leading tooth when the machine stops cutting efficiently.

I change the clearing teeth when I notice they are really rounded off or broken.

What machine are you using? I think the small pedestrian has four teeth total.

The 450/460 has 6 teeth.

I have a 450 and only change one leading tooth when the machine stops cutting efficiently.

I change the clearing teeth when I notice they are really rounded off or broken.

sp4012

Has 8 cutters, more of a squashed 50p shape.

Are the used teeth really worth sharpening (or worth any money to anyone). I have 12 or so once used teeth and bought a box of 50 from predator when I bought my 460 so have plenty of spares.

I change the leaders for the secondaries each time I change, the tertiaries I leave until blunt.

I have a bucket of about 100 used teeth just threw away about 200 or so as scrap, we will chew through 4-6k of teeth a year quite easily, never resharpen not worth the time.

I have a bucket of about 100 used teeth just threw away about 200 or so as scrap, we will chew through 4-6k of teeth a year quite easily, never resharpen not worth the time.

I think you may be right, in real terms teeth are a lot cheaper than in the 70s, as is saw chain.

I'm sure that it's not worth using a small grinder without some sharp teeth.

If there are lots of blunt teeth with a lot of tct left on them going spare I'd be tempted to make a small mulcher, because they work until al;l the tct tip is gone.

I change the leaders for the secondaries each time I change, the tertiaries I leave until blunt.

That sounds like a good method. :thumbup1:

Im not one for sharpening them either, it just so happened my local hire shop offered to do them for £2 a tooth, still, even with a good tickle up they are no where near the performance of a new tooth.

Box of 50 seems to be the way to go.