Solo Tree Work

RC0

Herein lies the rub, you are at the top of your game, there are however many more climbers out there who think they are, but are not.. Many respect and look up to you and as said before you have a status in the UK arb world and your views will influence others who may not be as able as you.

Yep, alot of folk seem to behave like they're invincible! And that's my worry too

Sent from my C6603 using Arbtalk mobile app

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm way past climbing on my own. I value going home to the wife too much to put my neck on the block these days. Plus, the way it's worked in NZ is, if you are working for a client and have an accident they, as the person conducting a business undertaking, are liable and can be prosecuted. Personally, I just like to have the back up should something go tits up.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Plus, the way it's worked in NZ is, if you are working for a client and have an accident they, as the person conducting a business undertaking, are liable and can be prosecuted..Arbtalk

That's what I meant about passing on the risk.. Although I think it is unlikely a domestic customer in the UK would be found liable. I think there was a recent case where a hotel owner was done when their handyman hurt himself doing tree work from a ladder..

Personally if be happy working alone, in the right circumstances.

If there were obstacles to avoid and cut and chuck was risky I wouldn't do it. Same as pedestrian traffic.

If it's in a open back garden with no targets and no tidy up then sure, why not? Otherwise you're paying for a ground you stand around fingering himself.

Let's face it, if you have a proper mischief in the tree your only real chance is self rescue, if rather avoid relying on that.

The only problem I can see is practicality. Dumping a load of tree on your line or running out of fuel. Reg has obviously thought around that.

I wouldn't expect it of anyone under my duty of care though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

what ground control mesures do you put in place to stop someone, or a curious neighbors kid walking into the dropzone?? signs, cones. i cant see how anybody can argue that its just as safe with no groundy.

why not get in a groundy? i would have thought there would be a queue of people wanting to work and learn from reg.

i really enjoy and respect regs work and vids , so iam not having a go, just disscussing it as i assume he intended as he posted it here.

carl

Watched the film - Im happy to take on very small jobs by myself but personally dont feel comfortable doing anything else by myself, also think its much more efficient having at least 2 on site for most jobs (and although its true that a rescue climber woudlnt probably be able to get to you in time if you had an accident, it doesnt make it as safe for members of the public who might in the unlikey but not imossible event - enter the site). Unless i was in the woods with the guarantee of no one coming into my drop zone I wouldn't feel 100% dropping pieces through a crown on to someones garden/drive without being able to be totally confident no one unexpected my turn up (postie/door to door salesman/ child fetching a football, random dog etc.)