Solo Tree Work

RC0

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am going to state the opposite view (although I didn't watch the whole video), but I can't see how you can realistically think tree work that involves climbing and chainsaws in a commercial situation should be a conducted on your own.

From a practical view, the tangled mess you leave at the base of the tree. The clear up must be a nightmare. Not having someone to rescue or even alert rescue services just makes no sense..

I have am not adverse to doing things outside of work on your own, I have been hang gliding, kayaking, scuba diving, hiking, biking, wild swimming etc, and people have not known where I am or when I am expected to return, but that is personal.

I agree low risk stuff fine crack on, but it would not be acceptable to employ an individual and expect them to do high risk work without some backup. You may not be employing but you are passing that risk onto your client who may not know better, or just be cheap..

The only reason to do it must be to so you can be cheaper but even that rarely makes sense as surely the clear-up is way worse and the climber is generally the most expensive member of staff so it makes more sense to pay a less skilled person to do the less skilled clearing up...

Oh dear, where to start:001_rolleyes:

Why are you commenting without watching the whole video?

It's not about being cheap, it's about maximising profit, which reduces the amount of work that is needed, which frees up time for more important things in life than working, imo.

, Oh dear, where to start.

Sorry I thought it was a discussion form. I didn't realise it was Arbechochamber

, which frees up time for more important things in life than working, imo.

Like watching 25 minutes of reg talking about lone working...:001_tongue:

I commented because lots of folk are agreeing, saying it's fine to lone work and the thread was giving the impression that this is acceptable behaviour. I admit I skipped through video but from what I saw would NOT have been happy sending an employee to do the work shown without someone on the ground.

The only reason to do it is to reduce costs, that could mean "maximise profit" but someone operating cheaper is going to be able to undercut someone who is unable to do that as they are working to best practice. I am for increasing the rates paid for tree work, this practice is NEVER going to help that. I may have a biased view as I am an employer and therefore don't have the option of sending out guys on there own.

Where do you draw the line? "I don't need insurance, that's just me maximising profit..."

Reg is also a very accomplished climber, possibly the closest we have to an arb celebrity... many climbers will look to him and follow his lead, some of these climbers will not be so capable and I don't think their working alone should be encouraged.

Surely If their is two on the job you can get a second job done in the same time it takes the one person to do the one job therefore, as long as the work is there, it makes no sense to lone work. As said reg is very experienced but I have lost count the amount of times the tail of my line has wrapped around stog etc requiring assistance

Sent from my SM-G900F using Arbtalk mobile app

As said reg is very experienced but I have lost count the amount of times the tail of my line has wrapped around stog etc requiring assistance

Sent from my SM-G900F using Arbtalk mobile app

Yes, and that's why reg didn't use a climbing line and just had a emergency line in bag. Fine if that's what he wants to do, personally if I needed a emergency line out the tree I wouldn't fancy having to get it out a backpack and set it up, but hey Ho.

Also agree with post about it not being ideal to encourage lone working for people who lookup to reg that perhaps don't have the necessary experience/common sense/ awareness of what could go wrong.

Lol arbechochamber!

Sent from my C6603 using Arbtalk mobile app

I am going to state the opposite view (although I didn't watch the whole video), but I can't see how you can realistically think tree work that involves climbing and chainsaws in a commercial situation should be a conducted on your own.

From a practical view, the tangled mess you leave at the base of the tree. The clear up must be a nightmare. Not having someone to rescue or even alert rescue services just makes no sense..

I have am not adverse to doing things outside of work on your own, I have been hang gliding, kayaking, scuba diving, hiking, biking, wild swimming etc, and people have not known where I am or when I am expected to return, but that is personal.

I agree low risk stuff fine crack on, but it would not be acceptable to employ an individual and expect them to do high risk work without some backup. You may not be employing but you are passing that risk onto your client who may not know better, or just be cheap..

The only reason to do it must be to so you can be cheaper but even that rarely makes sense as surely the clear-up is way worse and the climber is generally the most expensive member of staff so it makes more sense to pay a less skilled person to do the less skilled clearing up...

Here's the thing Ben. I'm a very strong minded and confident person. I don't go through life worrying about all the things that could go wrong....quite the opposite. I could work every day until dark, climbing or dragging brush on my own and it wouldn't phase me. I wouldn't do it for nothing mate, but work is work and I very much appreciate the opportunity and reward.

When you say I'm passing the risk onto the client....I'm not sure what risk you are talking about ? A task is only as dangerous as the man doing it. I could argue, having 10 workers on site increases the risk of an accident 10fold. You can either do the job, or you cant. Ive climbed trees out here well over 200ft....some dead. There was always ground support, but realistically, nobodies coming up there to save you if you get hurt. Does that mean I shouldn't climb the tree ? of course not....unless I felt its beyond my skills and experience. When I compare residential tree work to, say, BC Fallers or Commercial Fisherman....it reminds me how easy, safe and uncomplicated my job is....so long as I'm on top of my game.

From a practical standpoint, clean up specifically. I use the trolley a lot, winching, skylines and other rigging techniques to separate and move stuff from A to B. Its often more enjoyable than the climbing....depending on whether your glass is half empty or full. And no, I'm not cheap by any means....its the big companies that are generally the cheapest.

A task is only as dangerous as the man doing it.

Agreed, there is a risk in everything we do, and all you can do is reduce those risks to an acceptable level. People will disagree about where to draw the line. Some folk will argue that PPE is not needed, in the 12 plus years I was climbing I always wore but never needed a helmet trousers or boots. In fact I have never experienced any PPE saving anyone... You argue that that is not required.

I could argue, having 10 workers on site increases the risk of an accident 10fold. You can either do the job, or you cant.

Unfortunately when you find you can't do the job it's a bit late... I have never had a serious incident climbing but in the last 3 years I have broken my collar bone 3 times falling off my bike, I always thought I was a pretty OK cyclist and doing stuff I had done before.

.. When I compare residential tree work to, say, BC Fallers or Commercial Fisherman....it reminds me how easy, safe and uncomplicated my job is....

But compare residential tree work to plumbing or teaching..

so long as I'm on top of my game.

Herein lies the rub, you are at the top of your game, there are however many more climbers out there who think they are, but are not.. Many respect and look up to you and as said before you have a status in the UK arb world and your views will influence others who may not be as able as you.

I have never had a serious incident climbing but in the last 3 years I have broken my collar bone 3 times falling off my bike, I always thought I was a pretty OK cyclist and doing stuff I had done before.

Clearly you were mistaken, but just because you over estimate your ability, does not mean every one will.

Have you stopped cycling?