Solo Tree Work

RC0

Thanks all. It's not the ideal set up....but you have to have faith in yourself, ignore the naysayers, and take control of your life wherever you can. So easy now days to lose your moral and logical compass amidst the rats nest of red tape that has become normal.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

when i first started out I did a lot of work on my own, I remember rigging out bits on a figure of 8 in the tree using both end of the line and having to go down to tidy up every 2 mins.

Now as an employer, I cant afford to even think about sending guys off on their own.

I used to hate lone working , found it difficult to motivate my self with out getting bored and finding any excuse to get in the pub to chat to some one... wasn't good for profit.

I don't know, I like working alone.. for a number of reasons. My only thoughts are to get the job done, never enters my mind to run off to the pub to get pissed instead...:thumbdown:

I am going to state the opposite view (although I didn't watch the whole video), but I can't see how you can realistically think tree work that involves climbing and chainsaws in a commercial situation should be a conducted on your own.

From a practical view, the tangled mess you leave at the base of the tree. The clear up must be a nightmare. Not having someone to rescue or even alert rescue services just makes no sense..

I have am not adverse to doing things outside of work on your own, I have been hang gliding, kayaking, scuba diving, hiking, biking, wild swimming etc, and people have not known where I am or when I am expected to return, but that is personal.

I agree low risk stuff fine crack on, but it would not be acceptable to employ an individual and expect them to do high risk work without some backup. You may not be employing but you are passing that risk onto your client who may not know better, or just be cheap..

The only reason to do it must be to so you can be cheaper but even that rarely makes sense as surely the clear-up is way worse and the climber is generally the most expensive member of staff so it makes more sense to pay a less skilled person to do the less skilled clearing up...

I don't know, I like working alone.. for a number of reasons. My only thoughts are to get the job done, never enters my mind to run off to the pub to get pissed instead...:thumbdown:

Are you sure ? most your comments sound like they come from being pissed.

In a job like the one in the video yeah it's no bother there is no clear up...but if you dismantle a 10 tonne ash tree by your self and then spend three days clearing and dragging it through some body's huge long garden it just becomes boring... I did it for 3-4 years as I could not afford full time staff and it got me going back then but I could not do it again! Got no bother about smashing a tree down and clearing it up it's just not viable on bigger jobs or much fun or run as fluid with out the crack of working with a crew.

Also I imagine in regs case he can get his chipper or trucks pretty much to the tree.. that's just not the case for most work in the UK... just for the risk of your chipper or any gear been stolen alone.

but if you dismantle a 10 tonne ash tree by your self and then spend three days clearing and dragging it through some body's huge long garden it just becomes boring... I did it for 3-4 years as I could not afford full time staff

That's quite a long tidy up. Must have been pretty awkward.

But yeah, obviously lots of jobs totally unsuited to lone working. Both for practically/safety (any rigging or where there would be a hideous mess)and also cos they can be hellish boring By yourself. I often do bits and bobs by myself in middle of nowhere, going around field edges removing lower limbs, felling etc and really enjoy the simplicity of working alone, but not usually a huge tidy up and usually I'll ask the farmer to be aware that I'm working alone and to be aware of this.

If people really experienced, working for themselves and aware of risks, I see no problem with people working solo. However for me alot of the jobs I get would be horrible without a groundsman mostly on account of the tidy up

Sent from my C6603 using Arbtalk mobile app