Brash baler

Woodworks

It was all the rage here for a while bit not seen it done in a good 5 years

Iam sure it only worked well with certain species

Then the wood lorries would cart the bales because bits were falling out the bales and hitting cars

It was all getting chipped and burnt

It was promoted for feedstock for the ARBRE gasifier that never got commissioned. The idea was that the brash would air dry in the bundle and could be stored outside on just a hardstand. I saw a rottne with the fiberpac baler working some pine tops on a heathland clearance.

Much of the mineral ash is in the needles, buds and bark and on a heathland reversion it was a benefit to reduce the fertility, not so sure it would be on many forestry sites where the brash aids soil structure as it rots.

It was promoted as using cheaper transport than wood chip in walking floor trailers so I wasn't aware of the problem of bits falling out of the bundles

At one stage they were talking about pulling up the root plates to burn as well. However I'd imagine doing so would cause a mess and cause serious soil erosion.

From a landowners perspective I cant imagine them getting more than a few quid for brash/ roots. Better to leave it on the ground as a fertiliser :)