Thinings value

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I KNOW!!!

Since the customer's got money to burn, why don't you get a freakin' great tower crane in and crane every single tree out straight! Up through the canopy!

Deliver it to your working area and process!

Absolutely fantastic!

You'll need to put the civils in place first and maybe crane the tower crane in with another crane but it will be less grief than the landowner wants for himself.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

OR

Heli-Log it all out!!! :rock:

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

I know it'll be difficult and expensive for the customer but that's the way they want it done. I have given them the options and they want it done the way they've asked.

The site is around a house plot so any equipment has to come up the driveway.

I don't have a harvester or forwarder in the shed so have to use the kit I have. I cannot put a vehicle into the wood so any plan that involves that is out.

I'm not as green to not realise the trees will be tricky to extract.

The damaging the remaining stems concerns me though.

You have described a site of approx 2.9Ha so there is a fair perimiter to it, it is not unknown in my part of the world to come in over a neighbours ground and through a perimiter hedge/wall/fence.

You have also described the intention to take a unimog and timber trailer on to the site so there is easy enough access for a skidder tractor, to the edge of the wood at least. A small 2wd tractor will pull the stems you have described on flat ground no bother

If you try to winch multiple stems up to 100m through the standing matrix then bark damage to the standing timber will be extensive. You will also require a good supply of slings and snatch blocks.

Do you have radio control on your winch? You really want that - and some skidding cones. Forget any ideas about pulling 20 at a go - 3 will be plenty.

If it is all or mainly reasonably small have you considered a quad forwarder? I suspect it would be a lot easier on the temper than fighting back and forward with a winch cable and if you have a mog with a crane to unload it your workload is reduced considerably - we unload ours with a digger and a sling

happy days:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Cheers

mac