Poor Mans Skid Steer

Luckyeleven

The problem most of these small unit have is either there speed or lifting capacity.

How much will that grab lift Marc?

Looks a cracking bit of kit and some clever fabrication (which wouldn't be cheap and quite time consuming)

But i imagine any log lifted has a fair bit of leverage over the barrow.

Often u'd be quicker cutting it in 2 and stcking it on ur shoulder (but i know that gets tiring long term) or cutting it in 2 and throwing it in the skip with a load of other logs:sneaky2: which defeats all the clever engineering

That's not ours! Our powered barrow is still stock but we did look at fabricating something, I just found it on google. It probably would not lift much but could probably drag a fair bit particularly if you had rear wheels on the log-again google images will show some peoples ingenuity.

When we have looked at prospecting new kit we will often buy something cheap and cheerful rather than risk a large financial outlay, once we know it can be put to good use we usually buy something new and purpose designed.

Our tracked barrow largely sits unused, but we do have a lot of **** I mean kit.....

Edited by Marc

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Joking aside, any mechanical help is welcome.

I think Lucky is thinking, like many of us, that there seems to be a massive gap in the market at the bottom end.

Even a 100kg lift capacity would be better than a kick in the nuts.

The problem is that some of these machines are so slow you can do the job quicker yourself if you eat your Weetabix (not your Vermeers, DW's, Boxers etc. which can save days on some jobs, obviously).

Like watching some suit who's hired a .75t digger for a weekend to dig a grave for a goldfish.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

The problem most of these small unit have is either there speed or lifting capacity.

How much will that grab lift Marc?

Looks a cracking bit of kit and some clever fabrication (which wouldn't be cheap and quite time consuming)

But i imagine any log lifted has a fair bit of leverage over the barrow.

Often u'd be quicker cutting it in 2 and stcking it on ur shoulder (but i know that gets tiring long term) or cutting it in 2 and throwing it in the skip with a load of other logs:sneaky2: which defeats all the clever engineering

Great minds mate!

I'm cooking a spag bol and drinking red wine, though, so I was distracted!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I do agree there is a gap in the market but the problem is to get something with a decent speed/capacity ur talking decent money, which will end up sitting in ur yard most of the time till it gets knicked.

It's amazing the loads u can shift with 1 of those arb trolley type things althou relaying on muscle power too.

Probably ur best bet unless ur very good at doing it urself (and even then ur steel, time and hyd bodging costs could be esp) just lifting the skip off and using a fold down ramp and some pulleys/winch to get the butt onto the skip space and ratchet it on. For the few times ur actually loading logs the faff might be worth it.

Quite a few years ago i worked for a big fencer out in OZ, he was really getting into the vine yard fencing quite big.

He believed in 1 tractor/machine for 1 job would completely customise it for that 1 job so it done it perfectly.

He'd buy older tractors (even then and that was 20yrs ago) nice simple engine get in over hauled and then adapt to suit his needs.

He had a wee kubeto with a post knocker welded just behind front wheels, a few counties that pulled trailers with double post knockers, a couple of mog's with a postknocker on front corner and a rock drill on the back.

The other problem for a commercial company welding/fabricating 1 is that everyone would want something slightly different

Here's my solution, makes a lot less mess than a skidsteer! Fits through a 4 ft gate, and lifts 300kg (with counterbalance groundie!)[ATTACH]218395[/ATTACH]

Was £2000

Tidy! To be fair the Avants with large tyres do not break the ground so bad, still with minimal outlay you have something that will hopefully make your life easier.

When I first started at Heritage we nearly always bought cheap tires old dogs that needed to be welded up after every job. As we saw it's value and benefit we upgraded or bought new.

Be realistic if you need it and I mean really need it then the cost is not a factor.