gumtree scam

flatyre

do a fair bit of selling on gumtree and thought i'd seen every scam in the book until this. Had an old RD350 exhaust in the shed so decided to sell it as part of the spring clean. This is how the email communication went from a Mr Greg Cambel...

Hi do you have bike parts for sale?

Yes I have an RD350 exhaust for sale.

Great! please consider it sold and I want you to remove the advert as I am willing to pay you the full asking price because I need to buy it for my cousin asap, I have read through the advert and i'm totally satisfied with it. Unfortunately I would not be able to come personally to collect due to my hearing loss and i'm just recovering from heart surgery so i'm house bound. I have a courier agent that would help me to pick it up at your preferred location after you have received your money and i'll pay you via Paypal once your ready. Kindly get back to me with your location so that I can inform the courier agent about it now?

will do, my paypal email is xxxxxx, address is xxxxxxxxxxx. I'll have it wrapped up for the courier, what address is it going to? Thanks

In order to avoid mistakes could you confirm the exact amount please?

£100

Ok that's fine, I will make the payment now and I will email you once I have done it.

Hello again,

I am glad to inform you that I have made the payment! Paypal said that they have sent you a confirmation email so kindly check the inbox of your email. I had a problem with the courier agent, they said they can only schedule the pickup date and time after they receive the pickup fee in their head office via moneygram, but due to my health condition i'm unable to get to a moneygram shop to send it. I added the £275 they charged for the pickup and £40 for the moneygram charges, you will receive the total sum of £415. You'll send £275 to them via moneygram today ('today' in blue underlined text indicating a link) and here is the details needed for the transfer below.

First name: Shope

Last name: Lade

City: Ibadan, 20001

Please let me know once you've sent the money so that I can make necessary arrangements.

Any I received an email from [email protected] saying 'You have received a Paypal payment of £415.00 GBP sent from Greg Cambel. checked it and it's a genuine notification from Paypal. However when I log into my paypal account the status of the transaction is 'Status: Pending 98% complete .awaiting moneygram paymeny.

Very crafty!

It's a well known scam that's run for decades, the older version would be to send a fraudulent cheque which your bank would clear, then 10-14 days later your bank would "unclear" the cheque informing you it was a fraudulent one but you'd have already western unioned the cleared funds. Used to target people selling cars and would even have the cars collected, nasty business. The beauty with paypal is that if you withdraw that money to your account they cant pursue you for the money ;) and they will have to refund the victim that the fraudster took the money from, poor paypal......

The same thing happened to a bloke I work with, and the email is not actually from PayPal it's a fake.

Sent from my E6653 using Arbtalk mobile app

No, it is often actually from paypal, but the payment method to paypal has not yet cleared and never will clear.

Also with paypal, the buyer can claim the item was faulty or did not arrive and paypal will refund them, if you have not already withdrawn the funds you lose them.