Forestry speak

AllyH

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wolf tree is also a big rough tree within a plantation that's hardly worth bothering with but has to be taken.

Scarf cut - the gob or directional felling cut.

Snigging, winching out.

Toeing up, cutting the buttresses off before felling

Clicking in, often winching edge trees back into the clearcut.

Blushing off a stump, cutting off a stump to hide a crap fell or poor cuts.

Sent from my D5803 using Arbtalk mobile app

Dressing out - Snedding/delimbing a tree

Scratch up - raking up/tidying up

Dress the butt - making sure the buttresses are taken off and the butt end nice presented.

Nice lead - Timber all presented in the same direction; nicely.

Racking out - process of putting racks into a block of tress typically every 5th row.

Landing - Areas where timber is stacked or proccessed into stacks.

Deck - the ground can also be a log deck a series of skidded logs all next to eack other.

Some Americanisms

Faller -What we would call a cutter or a feller but Americans use the term faller and its sort of caught on here.

Bull Bucker - An experienced man normally running the landing or saw operations.

Toeing out is an odd thing to me. I was always told​ to get it down then dress it out, whilst others cut the toes off before felling which, in my book is a waste!

I must admit on most trees i leave the toes on then dress the butt then dress out out the stem.

Another one is forester's paint - wiping mud on a stump to hide it back into the landscape.

ooh, you bastard, the term used when you shred your hands on a gnarly old winch cable

Up the (finger) nail bed. "Ah ya f---er"... Rich winch owners who never wear out their compressed cables wouldn't know anything about this.

Toeing out is an odd thing to me. I was always told​ to get it down then dress it out, whilst others cut the toes off before felling which, in my book is a waste!

Not a waste in front of a harvester. Bumps production, pays for itself.